Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

sqeaky clutch/release fork

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Default sqeaky clutch/release fork

i've searched anything and everything clutch-related on this forum and couldn't find anything related to this issue. so please help. Please...
93 si hatchback, all stock.

continuous squeak(in time with rpm) comes from clutch area.
it goes away when i depress the clutch or push by hand directly on the clutch release fork boot on the transaxle(i know its doing the same thing, but that's how little effort it takes to make the squeak stop).

also, it may be the same squeak, but in gears 3-5, there's a squeak when i throttle-on, or throttle off, but not when i'm coasting or accelerating. i haven't yet raised the front and driven through those gears.

i've checked the haynes, and all the troubleshooting symptoms related to a similar noise point in different directions. i'm left with a mixed bag of fixes that probably won't address this issue. i haven't tried much but plan to bleed or maybe flush the clutch line.
and, as a sidenote that may be related(but prolly not),
the shift mech also squeaks where it mates to the transaxle when i move the stick through the neutrals.
i'll welcome any suggestions.
thx

Old 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
Default RE: sqeaky clutch/release fork

if your clutch is slipping, then that is what is causing the squeaking. al that fix is is to replace it. it thats not it then i don't know. good luck though!!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 02:44 AM

My guess is that the throw-out bearing is going out. As T/O bearings wear out they will sometimes cause a noise that usually goes away (not always) when you apply pressure on the fork (which in turn causes the T/O bearing to touch the pressure plate).

I have seen a bad T/O bearing wipe out the clutch fork and a few times the input shaft collar that the bearing rides on. This is not a common thing to happen, but it can. So don't put it off for too long.

Being that it is a 93, I would guess that the clutch has never been replaced. Now would be a good time to start saving that money for a clutch kit (clutch, pressure plate and T/O bearing). Be sure to have the flywheel turned as well to prevent what is called chatter (vibrations).

Old 11-07-2004, 11:44 AM
HCF Member

my thoughts exactly. and you should definately turn the flywheel or even better, buy an aftermarket one. when my clutch blew up on my way home from work one day, i had to do an emergency repair to it that night to get to work the next day, and i didnt have the time or money to get the flywheel turned. i put in a used six puck clutch out of my bros old si. well that stupid thing chattered so bad i almost didnt want to drive it anymore. now i have the exedy stage 1 and the exedy flywheel, it is so damn smooth and it revs so nicely, well worth the money.

Old 11-07-2004, 12:45 PM

and how much was that if you din't mind?

Old 11-07-2004, 01:03 PM
HCF Member

i got a pretty good deal at 239 for the clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, T/O bearing, pilot bearing and alignment tool) and 239 for the flywheel.