Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

shaking and vibration problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
HCF Member
Default shaking and vibration problem

Alright I installed a B&M DB shifter on a 97 civic coupe dx a long time ago and later I added some poly bushing to go along with it. I'm not sure it started when i put the shifter in or the bushings, but when I'm driving normally and then as the revs go up, my shifter starts to vibrate from front to back and make a noise which is really pissin' me off now. I don't think it would be the bushing that would stiffen it up that much and cause it to shake with the motor. also whenever I hold the shifter tightly, the vibration will stop as will the noise. so my only idea of what it could be is maybe some more tranny fluid, or take the shifter assembly all back out and troubleshoot for hours on end (aka hell). So any feedback would really help.

****UPDATE AT BOTTOM OF PG.1*****

Last edited by ej6buddy; 08-06-2008 at 08:29 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 07-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: shaking and vibration problem

did you get all the bolts tight enough when you reinstalled everything?

Old 07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
HCF Member

I don't know that might be it, i haven't had time to do anything lately so i'll try that. (since I installed the bushings in the middle of the night without any light, that might be it) Thanks

Old 07-11-2006, 01:11 PM

you might also want to try lossening it alil.. if you sqeeze too hard on the bearing and the bushing.. your shifter will be hard as a rock..

Old 07-18-2006, 11:28 PM
HCF Member

I have actually been thinking of that over the past few days, and i was reading in another forum, that it could be an exhaust problem, but the vibration is in the shifter, and when i hold it steady, the noise stops. by the way didn't bother to torque the bolts like i should have. guess everything comes back to bite you in the ***.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM

I had this excat same problem

I put in a short shifter and it went away.

The barring in the shifter was totally gone, so putting the new one on stopped it and the short throw is a dream.

and you can get them on ebay for about 20 bucks.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:28 PM
HCF Member
Default Vibrating shifter problem***FIXED****UPDATED****

Alright, so a little update, I fixed my vibrating and shaking shifter problem. The problem was the my installation. Instead of installing the new red o-rings like in the picture below, I kept the black washer style bushings that came from the factory:

So, learn from my mistake, when installing a B/M short shifter in your 6th gen civic, replace those bushings with the supplied ones.

Here is a link to help with your future install: http://importnut.net/shifter.htm

Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It must be nice to have that annoying problem fixed. Any idea why the washer-style bushings caused some much vibration whereas the O-rings don't?

Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
It must be nice to have that annoying problem fixed. Any idea why the washer-style bushings caused some much vibration whereas the O-rings don't?
You seriously have no idea how happy i am right now, it's like i feel in love with my car all over again, lol. And the only thing that i can think of, is the fact that the factory washers have two widths, and the inner portion of the factory bushing is very small, therefore causing the shift rod fork to vibrate against the shifter collar and bottom of the short shifter. I just found this out because i SEARCHED over the www and found people with similar problems, and then I found that website that showed exactly what to do. The directions that came with the B&M shifter and the E/S bushings didn't quite go together nicely, so it was very confusing. Plus, when I originally installed the bushings, i did it in my driveway at night with almost zero lighting, so I did pretty much everything by feel. But it's worth it. I give the setup a 9.9999/10. (b/c of the directions)