Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Riding clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 03:12 AM
Default Riding clutch

i guess this is a pretty newbie question, but my brother always rags on me when im driving his WRX, that i ride the clutch when im coming to a stop, instead of downshifting... he claims that riding the clutch or whenever the clutch is engaged that it wears it down. i was just wondering to what degree this is true.. any help would be apreciated. thanks

Old 05-08-2005, 08:42 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Riding clutch

holding the clutch to the floor will not wear it out --it does tend to put a slight amount of stress on the pressure plate & t/o bearing --but nothin to worry about[&:] -the only time that u get wear is when u shift [or ride the pedal 1/2 way][:@] so actually down shiftin will cause it to wear faster[ 1 up on bro] i tend to just pop it out of gear & coast --if u really want to impress your brother learn how to " power shift " --i wont tell how to do it i dont want to be liable if u dont do it right & wreck his tranny [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-08-2005, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

im pretty sure powershifting is when u just keep ur foot on the gas the entire time......even when running thru the gears.......my cars auto thou so i cant do that ****.,

Old 05-08-2005, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

power shiftin is when u shift witout using the clutch [:@]

Old 05-08-2005, 01:05 PM

This is what happens when you powershift.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:30 PM

Riding the clutch is actually when you half-*** it when starting in 1st or shifting (basically just letting it out really slowly for a smooth start; generally only used by women and complete beginners). Keeping the clutch on the floor is NOT riding it, so tell your brother he's wrong. And AOL.COM is right; all that'll do is put some extra stress on the pressure plate, but nothing to worry about. Good call on not compression braking though; you're actually saving wear and tear on the engine and tranny (give your brother a little crap about that...) But in the future, when you're coming to a stop, just put it in neutral and let the clutch out. Sure you'll wear the brakes some more stopping, but it's better than the tranny...

And powershifting is one of those things that you just don't do.

Old 05-08-2005, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: se7ensectoolate

This is what happens when you powershift.
sweet pic [:@] --but if u ever try to drive a car with a busted clutch cable u kinda know what i mean ---not for racing

Old 05-18-2005, 07:05 PM

You definately want to downshift tosave breaks and keep them from heating up too much, it probably says to do this in your car's manual.

Old 05-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Would you rather do a brake job or a clutch job?

Old 05-18-2005, 08:04 PM

If you rev the engine to the right rpm when downshifting, the clutch won't get worn down. If your don't rev it, it is bad for the clutch. SO i would rather not do a brake or clutch job.

Quick Reply: Riding clutch