Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Reverse works&doesn't work!! Automatic Tran

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 11:42 PM
Exclamation Reverse works&doesn't work!! Automatic Tran

I have a problem. I couple of weeks ago I was buring-out in my 93 EX (auto) when my car jerked. I thought nothing of it until 30 minutes later when I parked and noticed I couldn't reverse. The reverse works somedays and somedays it doesn't. Anybody know what's wrong. AND how to fix the problem?

Old 09-04-2008, 06:42 AM
HCF Member

you dont burn out in an auto.... lol you mess up your tranny wit that but i not sure bout the reverse thing

Old 09-04-2008, 07:33 AM
HCF Member

When you say "burn out" in an auto do you mean rev it up in neutral then drop it into drive? Cuz unless you have some bad tires they shouldnt burn out just from flooring it in first from a stop, and that is probably what messed it up if thats what you did. Hope you dont need a new trans

Old 09-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

so you did something stupid and broke something?

Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 AM
Snail'n Admin

cool, way to go tool.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by BigDadE84
I have a problem. I couple of weeks ago I was buring-out in my 93 EX (auto) when my car jerked. I thought nothing of it until 30 minutes later when I parked and noticed I couldn't reverse. The reverse works somedays and somedays it doesn't. Anybody know what's wrong. AND how to fix the problem?
Unfortunately, the transmission is probably shot, as mentioned by others. Before taking the car to a transmission shop, check whether the transmission fluid is low and, if so, top off and retest. You might even try draining and replacing the fluid with fresh Honda ATF.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes. Yes. I know it was stupid. And I did exactly what the dude said, I reved the engine and popped it in drive. So the only problem with the tranny is somedays only the reverse doesn't work. All the other gears work fine everyday. So I want to know if eventually will the whole tranny go down??

Old 09-04-2008, 01:43 PM
HCF Member

It may or may not develop more problems, listen to RonJ, the ATF change/refill will often help with grinding gears or rough shifts (not sure if it will cure reverse not working at all tho.

And I did exactly what the dude said, I reved the engine and popped it in drive
Lol, i figured. I have a friend who drives his camry around like that, he honestly acts like its manual; shifting into 2 or Low when slowing down, launching in automatic, etc. He does it realizing full well its probly killin his trans but he doesnt care cuz its old and beat and he's gettin a new car soon anyway.

Best of luck on fixing the problem, maybe the tranny fluid will cure it. No more launching the auto tho, save it for a manual car

Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigDadE84
And I did exactly what the dude said, I reved the engine and popped it in drive.
so, exactly how many NOS stickers are on your back window?
any more stickers and the tranny would have just fell off the car from doing that... too much power for the auto tranny

Old 09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

^ lmao

Quick Reply: Reverse works&doesn't work!! Automatic Tran