Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Odd Noise, ting/clunk, 2nd gear, right turn, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Results of some checking...

So we drove the car again today... the sound also has a knuckles cracking sort of sound...

Jacked the car up... I can't get it to reproduce the noise as loud up on jack stands. I could get it to make the noise a bit. Sounds loudest from where the axle goes into the trans.

Its definitely a continuous cracking, popping, crunching, sort of noise not a loud clunk. Almost like if you turn the car and the tire is almost flat the rubber crunchy sort of noise.

I inspected the heat shields they are on tight no cracks. I checked the ps fluid level. Its full. The noise if def coming from down low. Not up at the PS pump. Belt it tight and dry.

Here are some vids I shot. You can try and see if you can pick it up... Its quite faint. We will try and get some on the road, but I'm afraid the wind noise will mask them
Vid 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN2-c_Ben8A

Vid 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGKYo1LE7tM

Old 07-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell_too
Jacked the car up... I can't get it to reproduce the noise as loud up on jack stands. I could get it to make the noise a bit. Sounds loudest from where the axle goes into the trans.

Its definitely a continuous cracking, popping, crunching, sort of noise not a loud clunk. Almost like if you turn the car and the tire is almost flat the rubber crunchy sort of noise.
Sounds like a bad inner CV axle joint.

Old 08-03-2009, 08:35 AM
HCF Member
Default Results

So we gave in and went to Kaufman to see what they thought! Its so intermittent and can't be duplicated with the car in the air. It only happened on the ground, even with the hub cab off.

They have probed, twisted, turned, jiggled, wobbled, and shook all they could think of to explain the noise, but could not. They have checked the obvious stuff and said unless it gets more frequent or worse sounding they don't think its dangerous at this time. But to keep and eye on the axle.

there are some things in the engine bay that are not put together right that I want to address adn maybe one of them is the problem!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Chubby Chaser

it sounds like a bad cv axle joint to me

are the boots on the cv axles ripped?

Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
HCF Member

We checked them & they are fine. Kaufman found nothing @ inspection

Old 08-24-2009, 08:41 AM

any updates on this?

Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 AM
HCF Member

Posted a new thread with updates to this one.... Just in case others need the info...

Car now has over 80,000 with new rims and tires (so that was not the issue) Got an alignment with our last oil change... no change. WE still have the issue if anyone has had an other thoughts. The shop said there is no CV joint/axles issue... The mechanic had another theory... see below

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=85234

Last edited by Tinkerbell_too; 10-06-2010 at 05:48 AM. Reason: to help out others