Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Odd Noise, ting/clunk, 2nd gear, right turn, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:01 PM
HCF Member
Exclamation Odd Noise, ting/clunk, 2nd gear, right turn, HELP!

Hope I posted this in the right place... Not sure if it was tranny or suspension related...

We have a 2003 Honda Civic LX, 4 cyl with manual transmission, 48,000 miles, and up to date on all its scheduled services.

Just in case its relevant: I took it in for a Major maintenance service on Monday. We bought it used at 36,000 miles and we were not sure it had its major service done, so I decided to do it this time. (includes exchanging brake and manual trans fluid) The dealership noticed nothing odd. Just said they had to tighten a few bolts on the chassis and belt tensioner.

Back to the problem: On Friday, my spouse noticed an odd noise coming from the right front when she was in the parking deck leaving work. Its not extremely loud so you could miss it with the music on. She happened to have the windows down and the radio off. The parking deck amplified the noise, so she caught it. Up to this point she had not had the car at work. Its a tinging sort or clunking noise. Its not just one clunk its like continuous chattering while the car is in the turn. However she only heard it when turning right and only in 2nd gear.

So tonight we took it out for a few tests. In an empty parking lot it was loopy-de-loop time. So I tested a rolling turn in neutral both right and left... no noise. Then worked my way thru all gears in a circle both ways. Yep we were rolling in 5th in tight circles in a parking lot... What fun... LOL Result: The noise only occurs in 2nd gear when making a right hand turn.

Any thoughts? Tranny? Front axle? CV joint?

I gave the car a quick look over. I see no leaking fluids, nothing obviously broken in the suspension, and the wheel well plastic is in place. I hate to say my front drive knowledge is a bit lacking so any suggestions would be welcome. I just don't want to drive it too much and make it worse.

I worry if the dealer did something wrong with the fluid exchange? Is there a way to check the fluid level? I hate to take it to them unarmed with knowledge or who knows how much it could cost.

Thank you for any help/suggestions you can offer!

Last edited by Tinkerbell_too; 07-18-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-18-2009, 07:17 PM
HCF Member

I may be wrong here but, I think I had the same noise occuring. Only mine happened when I went in forward and reverse. I have a 01 manual with 120,000 miles on it. I noticed mine around 100,000 but it has only gotten worse since. My wife also has an 01 Acura Integra, which for the most part has the exact same drivetrain and hers is an automatic and does the same thing. It has not effected the preformance of either of the cars but I have traced it down to the CV axles. I have asked the dealership and they just suggest changing the bearings in the axles and the tranny. I don't think its something that you have to worry about stranding you on the side of the road somewhere but you might get it checked out either way. I would say that since yours is limited to the right turn only that it could be a wheel bearing which is a little more serious. Its not really gonna give you any signs because its all incased so its more of a wait and see game. I would call this a common problem among these cars because I havent found one yet that hasnt done it at some point. hope this helps

Old 07-18-2009, 07:23 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree with the post above. Sounds to me like a bad axle(s). Replace as soon as possible because if it fails, you could be stranded and more costly damage could occur.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

If it is a wheel bearing, I wonder why it does not happen in any other gear while making a right turn?

I guess I'm really thrown because it only happens in 2nd.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
I agree with the post above. Sounds to me like a bad axle(s). Replace as soon as possible because if it fails, you could be stranded and more costly damage could occur.
Is there any outward sign I could look for, or is the issue internal/under boots?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The problem sounds nothing like a bad wheel bearing.

A bad axle may show no outward sign of being bad. In some cases, the CV joint boot will be ruptured and leaking grease. You might check for excess free play in the inner and outer joints, though the outer joints seem to go first.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
The problem sounds nothing like a bad wheel bearing.

A bad axle may show no outward sign of being bad. In some cases, the CV joint boot will be ruptured and leaking grease. You might check for excess free play in the inner and outer joints, though the outer joints seem to go first.
And a bad axle could still be limited to to a single gear versus any right turn at any speed? Or might it just be showing here first only to spread to other gears as it worsens?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell_too
And a bad axle could still be limited to to a single gear versus any right turn at any speed? Or might it just be showing here first only to spread to other gears as it worsens?
This observation has me somewhat stumped. In addition, I noticed in your first post the mention of a continuous chattering noise. Alternative explanations might be noise from the power steering pump or from a loose exhaust heat shield. Start by checking whether the power steering (PS) fluid is low or the PS belt is loose or contaminated with oil. You'll need to put the front end on stands to inspect the exhaust heat shields. Check whether they are loose or cracked.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

Ok will check those items and report back tomorrow.

I wish there was a good way to record the noise. Its does not sound (pitch wise) like a playing card on a bicycle spoke, but it reminds me of that in some way. Its slower but has that fluttery/chattery effect to it.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Bad axles typically make a clunking noise when making turns.

Quick Reply: Odd Noise, ting/clunk, 2nd gear, right turn, HELP!