Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

New and in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Default New and in trouble

Well, I am new to this forum and also new to Hondas. I recently bought a 1989 Civic Hatchback with a JDM B16A swap with T3/T4 turbo. I was also told that the tranny was a Y1 w/LSD. My problem is that after having the car a couple weeks, I believe the tranny went out.

That is why I have come here. I like to do work myself and if there is anything I can do instead of buying a new tranny, that would be great.

The situation is that I stopped on a hill, and with now prior indications of a problem, when I started to pull away, I made it about 8 inches and the car seemed to hit an invisible wall. I can move the shifter through all the gears, and can take off in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd but with the same result. I only make it about 8 inches. With the car in neutral, clutch pushed in, and e-brake off, it wouldn't roll back down the hill. I just bounce between two walls about 8 inches apart.

I just got the car back to my workshop an when the front end is jacked up, I can spin the wheel by had with no problems. Drivers and passengers side wheels both spin forward and backward with no trouble, but if you start the car and put it in gear, it hits that wall and won't spin.

I am currently taking the tranny out and just wondered if anyone has any idea what I should be looking for. Also can I drop the tranny without dropping the engine and how hard should it be to physically seperate the engine and trans?

Thanks for any responses.

Last edited by fabmaster; 09-29-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Chubby Chaser

its a fairly easy job yea somthing sounds broke in the trans, lift remove front wheels, remove cv axles, remove starter,unhook ground cable off trans, unhook the clutch cable and reverse wires, and speed cable, then unbolt and remove the rear trans/motor mount remove the shift linkages, unbolt the exhaust, there is one bolt back by the rear motor mount that bolts trans to motor, then remove dust cover on bottom of trans, then get a jack or something to take pressure off trans mounts, remove all trans housing bolts, and front trans/motor mount. the unbolt and remove the passenger side trans mount and use jack to lower trans and seprate with a big flat head screw driver and wiggle a little bit and trans will come right out.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 AM
HCF Member

Well, I dropped the tranny and it doesn't look good.

Name:  DSCF4714.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  37.8 KB
Name:  DSCF4717.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  45.3 KB
Name:  DSCF4716.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  52.1 KB

I guess my next question is, is there a snap ring somewhere on the drive shaft under the throwout bearing? I can't seem to get the housing off. I can get it half and inch and then it won't go any further.

Name:  DSCF4720.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  35.8 KB
Name:  DSCF4718.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  46.5 KB
Name:  DSCF4719.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  38.3 KB

Old 09-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Chubby Chaser

i wouldnt even fool with it, just take it to the scrape yard and get another one from a junkyard.

Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

May sound stupid but, am I looking for an 89-91 civic si trans with LSD? Most places around here play dumb and need exact details of the tranny and then still don't know what they are looking for.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Chubby Chaser

they are very hard to find. best bet is to just get a si trans and buy a lsd dif. and install it.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:20 PM
HCF Member

Looks like this may be an easy fix. I guess my question is, "What the heck do you call the rod going through the center of the diff. The allen set screw broke and that rod slid out the side of the diff and broke some casing ribs(all the metal I found) and then got far enough out that it got stuck between larger parts of the casing. The rod is bent a little bit but I might be able to fix that unless it is cheap and easily accessable.

Name:  DSCF47311.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  56.0 KB
Name:  DSCF47351.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  46.6 KB
Name:  DSCF47371.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  35.6 KB

Glad I signed up to honda-tech and found out how to take the tranny apart so I didn't waste money on a new trans

Old 09-30-2009, 10:41 PM
Chubby Chaser

good luck on that and let me know when it breaks again, and you waste your money

Old 10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
good luck on that and let me know when it breaks again, and you waste your money
Doesn't make sense to buy an entire trans when its just one bad pin. Just how my brain works though.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Chubby Chaser

and you dont think the metal shavings and metal chunks that were in there didnt do anything? i mean thats how my brain works... you think its just a pin because thats what you see, but its what you dont see

Quick Reply: New and in trouble