Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Manually shifting on an AUTOMATIC Civic...is it okay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 11:38 AM
Default RE: Manually shifting on an AUTOMATIC Civic...is it okay?

Who the hell is this dude??? What kind of moron: 1st of all asks that question, 2nd treats people who are trying to help him that way. One of the purposes of these forums are for SERIOUS car enthusiasts to get help. By just reading what you have posted so far, you just sound like some punk kid who thinks his automatic Civic is cool. You will probably put a sound system in it that will rattle and sound like crap, a fart can, cool "R RACING" stickers, and get laughed at by anyone who knows anything abuot cars. You are the kind of people that gives Honda a bad name and rice reputation. If he hasn't been banned I vote to ban.

Old 03-07-2006, 12:55 AM

Update people, I've been manually shifting the automatic and its been perfectly fine. In addition, I've done extensive research and others have said it is fine as well. Proof below.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...4afec9d94a77a6

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...abf2e69f0ea765

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...2a01ebb068ae33

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.a...ebf0aa5cec8131

Old 03-07-2006, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: my_hidden_romance

just telling u from personal experience that u will kill your tranny.. yess you can kill a tranny in a clutch too... answer me this.. are u going to be doing this all the time?? even when ur not in ur racing mode.. and will u be doing high way or stop and go?.. lets assume that u go to manually shift ur auto at redline of 4.5rpms... thats going to put you about at 35.. now ur tranny will have to take that speed of ur gears and pop its self to the next gear... the difference in the 5 speed and the auto is the 5 speed when u hit the clutch it takes that speed off the tranny till you can put it perfectly on the other gear... if you do this in an auto it will knock ur transmissions gears out of line..

now.. if ur doing this as a highway driving car.. this will not be good for the fact of you will eventually have to run in to d4..or else ur car will get ****ty gas mileage in drive 3 and u will not have any power at all.... a car stuck in one heavy gear is bound to over heat..leaving you stranded.. if not over heat over exert its self and pull a belt.. 4th is there to keep ur car from having to have a high rev the whole time ur driving.. it gives you ur gas mileage...
Honestly, I really never race the Civic (its a weak as hell, 106hp LX). I only downshift when there's slow-a$$ traffic or I'm driving in the city (also slow traffic). Also, I never do it when I'm at highway speeds. In other words, I don't think I'm being abusive to the tranny.

For example, today, I was a few cars behind a school bus that was making its stops. Of course, the line of cars was slow as hell. So I downshifted to '2', so the slow traffic wouldn't seem so boring (at least I could hear and feel the engine rev to higher rpm's). And I do the same in the city, I just leave it in '2' so I can hear the engine rev while I'm carefully negotiating city traffic. Once I get away from the city, I 'shift' from '2' to '3'.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:13 AM

ORIGINAL: md420

ORIGINAL: xuimod

I have 2 questions: 1) has anybody in these forums driven an automatic Civic like this? 2) how will the Civic's transmission hold up?

1. The answer has been had, 3 people saying your transmission will not take this abuse 2 of which have either messed up a honda automatic transmission like this or have to deal with a honda automatic that has had this done.

2. It may hold for a while but they are not designed to handle the stress of this on a regular basis. You can supply all the links you want but I for one know the stuff first hand and not from reading some second hand web info that I am not sure of. Civic's are not performance cars no matter how you look at it. Some have pep but not one civic is bred and born for performance other than a civic type r which for one does not have a auto transmission and 2 dont even get sold in the U.S.

Look I am all about welcoming new members with open arms but the tone you have taken with regular members that are both answering your questions and trying to help is totally un-called for. If you dont agree with the answers you get there is no need to attack people by calling them names, lashing out, and acting like a dis-respectfull 12 year old in the process. If this is the kind of member you plan to be just go ahead and tell us and we will make sure you find your way off this forum. The people here whole heartedly try an help people w/o any preset agenda of there own so you can be a part of that or you can move on.

Well anyway, welcome to the site hope you like it but be warned anymore name calling, trash talking, or insults out of you will result in action taken by me the staff to assure you do not disrupt the forum with anymore
The civic tranny is not designed to handle an enormous 106hp engine downshifting? Please, I find that hard to believe.

If that's true, then why do people put Superchargers and Turbochargers on automatic Civics? Are you trying to tell me the stress 'manually shifting an automatic' (puts on the torque converter) is greater than the (extra) stress of a Supercharger or Turbo? That sounds illogical.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:36 AM

ORIGINAL: cowboy45

Who the hell is this dude??? What kind of moron: 1st of all asks that question, 2nd treats people who are trying to help him that way. One of the purposes of these forums are for SERIOUS car enthusiasts to get help. By just reading what you have posted so far, you just sound like some punk kid who thinks his automatic Civic is cool. You will probably put a sound system in it that will rattle and sound like crap, a fart can, cool "R RACING" stickers, and get laughed at by anyone who knows anything abuot cars. You are the kind of people that gives Honda a bad name and rice reputation. If he hasn't been banned I vote to ban.
Its me, your Dad. Stop downloading so much ****, your Mom would be ashamed.

Old 03-07-2006, 02:22 AM
HCF Member

Your gone

Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 AM
HCF Member