Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Manually shifting on an AUTOMATIC Civic...is it okay?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:27 PM
Default RE: Manually shifting on an AUTOMATIC Civic...is it okay?

hey marineboy, then why is there a '2', D3 and D4 on an automatic. if automatics weren't made to be shifted AT ALL then why don't they just have PNRD?

Old 02-09-2006, 06:38 PM
HCF Member

D1 and D2 are there in order to allow you to pull a load. If your pulling something you are going to want to be in a lower gear to have more torque. D3 is there incase you don't want your car to shift into overdrive.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:51 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: xuimod

i'm pissed b/c the answers s*ck, they're one sentence answers and give NO EVIDENCE or explanation. i just want some knowledge no simpleton answers that a 12 yr old can write.
Fine, go do your own research then.

And it's so CUTE how you went back and edited bigger bold type into your posts....

Old 02-09-2006, 06:53 PM

yeah, i did it just for you. LOL.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:51 PM

To answer the first question: nope never driven a civic like that let alone any automatic.
and the second question: well as long as your not abusing your tranny I think you should be fine. I spent about 3 hours looking online trying to find something saying that it will kill your tranny if you shift manually with an automatic. Mainly I found the only reasons people do it is for carrying a load, going up mountains and decelerating going back down the mountain.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

gotta include first and second are for when the climate is bad.. or u get stuck and dont want ur car reving in to second or 3rd... just to spin.. i want it in something low to keep the tires down..

Old 02-10-2006, 01:05 AM
HCF Member

I highly suggest you calm yourself. Its clear to me you have chosen you answer before you started this thread. Go ahead, shift your auto trans......when you blow it blame those links you posted. If you would like to remain a member on this website I highly suggest you read the rules/regulations. We do not want to have to limit your access on our honda civic site.

Old 02-10-2006, 01:19 AM
HCF Member

just telling u from personal experience that u will kill your tranny.. yess you can kill a tranny in a clutch too... answer me this.. are u going to be doing this all the time?? even when ur not in ur racing mode.. and will u be doing high way or stop and go?.. lets assume that u go to manually shift ur auto at redline of 4.5rpms... thats going to put you about at 35.. now ur tranny will have to take that speed of ur gears and pop its self to the next gear... the difference in the 5 speed and the auto is the 5 speed when u hit the clutch it takes that speed off the tranny till you can put it perfectly on the other gear... if you do this in an auto it will knock ur transmissions gears out of line..

now.. if ur doing this as a highway driving car.. this will not be good for the fact of you will eventually have to run in to d4..or else ur car will get ****ty gas mileage in drive 3 and u will not have any power at all.... a car stuck in one heavy gear is bound to over heat..leaving you stranded.. if not over heat over exert its self and pull a belt.. 4th is there to keep ur car from having to have a high rev the whole time ur driving.. it gives you ur gas mileage...

Old 02-10-2006, 01:56 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: xuimod

I have 2 questions: 1) has anybody in these forums driven an automatic Civic like this? 2) how will the Civic's transmission hold up?

1. The answer has been had, 3 people saying your transmission will not take this abuse 2 of which have either messed up a honda automatic transmission like this or have to deal with a honda automatic that has had this done.

2. It may hold for a while but they are not designed to handle the stress of this on a regular basis. You can supply all the links you want but I for one know the stuff first hand and not from reading some second hand web info that I am not sure of. Civic's are not performance cars no matter how you look at it. Some have pep but not one civic is bred and born for performance other than a civic type r which for one does not have a auto transmission and 2 dont even get sold in the U.S.

Look I am all about welcoming new members with open arms but the tone you have taken with regular members that are both answering your questions and trying to help is totally un-called for. If you dont agree with the answers you get there is no need to attack people by calling them names, lashing out, and acting like a dis-respectfull 12 year old in the process. If this is the kind of member you plan to be just go ahead and tell us and we will make sure you find your way off this forum. The people here whole heartedly try an help people w/o any preset agenda of there own so you can be a part of that or you can move on.

Well anyway, welcome to the site hope you like it but be warned anymore name calling, trash talking, or insults out of you will result in action taken by me the staff to assure you do not disrupt the forum with anymore

Old 02-10-2006, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

Agreed^

Quick Reply: Manually shifting on an AUTOMATIC Civic...is it okay?