Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

manual gear oil

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:54 AM
HCF Member
Default manual gear oil

Hey, how much oil will i need to buy to replace the oil in my d16y8's tranny? and honda recomends using reg motor oil right? what weight and i was thinking about using synthetic

Old 03-12-2007, 01:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: manual gear oil

I used regular 10w-30.. need 2-3 quartz.. fill until it start to drip out from fill plug.. (u have a manual.. right ?)

Old 03-12-2007, 02:14 AM
HCF Member

yes i have a manual

Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

it's 1.9 quarts, and IMO you should use Honda Genuine Manual Trans Fluid.

Old 03-12-2007, 11:23 AM

ya use the honda mtf or the gm sycromesh mtf is real good too

Old 03-12-2007, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

honda doesn't "recommend" putting motor oil in your tranny, it tells you to just use Honda MTF, after it's all said and done, you'll spend the same as you would for any other fluid.

p.s. get about 3 quarts just in case you need extra, as well as a new washer

Old 03-12-2007, 09:22 PM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

honda doesn't "recommend" putting motor oil in your tranny, it tells you to just use Honda MTF, after it's all said and done, you'll spend the same as you would for any other fluid.

p.s. get about 3 quarts just in case you need extra, as well as a new washer
uh, my honda dealership told me to use 5w30 in my transmission, and when i asked them if they had honda mtf, they refused to sell it to me for my transmission.. maybe my dealership is full of retards, but the guy looked it up while i was there..

Old 03-12-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

"HONDA" doesn't recommend conventional motor oil, the retards at your dealership that call themselves honda techniansrecommended you to use regular motor oil, and don't you think it's a little su****ious that they wouldn't sell you their own MTF, imo, that seems a little shady if you ask me. don't always go off of what the honda people tell you, they only know what they hear half the time, at least for all of them near my area.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:27 AM
HCF Member

I have been using Royal Purple 10W30 in mine for about four months now. It is doing just fine. I would use the Honda stuff, but there is no where to get it anywhere near me.

Is there something in the Honda stuff that makes it better or is there something in the Reg oil that makes it BAD???

Old 03-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Cat Fuсker

I have used regular motor oil in both of my civics and my mechanic has ben using regular motor oil in all civic MTs for many years with no consequences. However you should not use synthetic oil in a tranny. The reason is that the transmission doesn't use a pump to get the oil up in the housing, it depends on oil to kinda "climb" the gears up there and than there's that splash thingie which I don't know the name of. Synthetic oil tends to be thinner for the same weight rating and doesn't "climb" the gears as well.

Quick Reply: manual gear oil