Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Lets talk Tiptronic in a 93 civic.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by jan1984
try the manual transmission....
Already have.

And I posted many good reasons why tiptronic would be better =[. Seeing as its really hard to abuse a tiptronic transmission.

So does anyone know what tranny will fit the 93? thats tiptronic?

Old 04-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by reignstarz
So does anyone know what tranny will fit the 93? thats tiptronic?
There is no D-series tiptronic transmission

Old 04-22-2009, 08:02 AM
HCF Member

have fun makeing your own stuff, or just go manual....

Old 04-22-2009, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

looks like you will have to do an engine swap if you want to do this

Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by croninc
looks like you will have to do an engine swap if you want to do this
Yeah I planned on it but I don't want an h22a in my civic. I dont want the weight and handling problem.

If I swap an h22a then it's possible. The prelude engines are h22a with tiptronic transmission in them..

Old 04-22-2009, 11:51 PM

Weight and handling problem barely exists. If you don't care enough about performance to swap a manual instead of tiptronic, then you don't care enough about performance to notice that minimal difference in handling. If anything, the extra weight (30 pounds! THATS IT!) helps because it gives you more traction on the front tires.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Weight and handling problem barely exists. If you don't care enough about performance to swap a manual instead of tiptronic, then you don't care enough about performance to notice that minimal difference in handling. If anything, the extra weight (30 pounds! THATS IT!) helps because it gives you more traction on the front tires.

Tiptronic is far more better performance wise than a manual transmission. I could state many beneficiaries of the tiptronic transmission over a manual. And I could also state more reason as to why an h22a gives troublesome handling due to reasons other than weight.

But im still researching to find out what engine/transmission would be nice for the civic to have a tiptronic.

Old 04-23-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by reignstarz
Tiptronic is far more better performance wise than a manual transmission. I could state many beneficiaries of the tiptronic transmission over a manual. And I could also state more reason as to why an h22a gives troublesome handling due to reasons other than weight.

But im still researching to find out what engine/transmission would be nice for the civic to have a tiptronic.
No, the tiptronic is not better performance wise than a manual transmission.

Do you know how a torque converter works? Probably not, considering your statement.

Torque converters transfer power from the engine to the transmission via turbines and impellers and fluid. There is no solid joining of the transmission to the engine in terms of transfer of power. As a result, a lot more power is lost in the drivetrain than with a manual transmission.
As you should know, a manual transmission uses a direct transfer of power via the clutch.

Also, the torque converter is not strong enough to support a lot more power. Honda automatic transmissions are historically known as being weak and it doesn't take much to ruin one.

I've already proven you wrong about the handling via testimonies of actual owners of H22 swapped Civics instead of opinions of random people with no claimed experience.

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=362984

"I like my swap alot, around where I live not too many people have b series swap not to mention h series swaps. I drive my h22 hatch everyday to/from work 40miles total and the only dislike I have are the following.
1. vibration, not as bad as my b16 ef though so I'm kinda use to it.
2. constant CEL for the dam EGR.
3. loss of traction, I could be in 1st or 2nd and just floor it and it breaks lose.
4. I find my self speeding constantly. 0-100 1st..2nd...3rd....4th......(speed govenor)in about xx seconds.
5. while getting my dose of spirited driving my MPG take a ****.
6. at every meet I go to I find myself repeating everything about 30 times.

Now for what I do like.
1. its dam fast.
2. did I mention it's fast?
3. all the torque I could ever need.
4. I love the shifting alot better than the rod assembly, havent missed a shift yet.
5. handeling is not bad at all.
6. The look on peoples faces when I pop the hood.
7. quiter than my b16.
8. oh BTW it fast."

"S2kcord, GO AWAY. You are the ruiner of a perfectly good thread. I have posted before on H22, specifically in an EK, all I have got is bashed. Mostly on the handling issues, but it doesnt seem ot be an issue. This thread is sex for an inmate good. Keep postin. THANK YOU ALL"

"Suspension wise my car handles great. I really wish some of you people lived closer so you could see for yourself. I great misonception that people dont realize also is that most 5th gen hatches bushing are usually very worn by the time you decide to swap in an engine. Havine worn or cracked bushing even with upgrades suspension will give you a bad responding ride.. Also check them when doing a swap to make sure that they are good. I know mine were real bad when I did my rear disc conversion.. Good thing for those new GSR ones in the rear.

Anymore questions..
And yes I have the Type S-spec h22a with factory LSD"

"I own a eg with a h22 and after doing the swap I can honestly say that I will never go back to b-series, for a stock motor its incredable. Torque wize, and power wize its an incredible motor when swaped into a civic. About the umors with weight its only 80 pounds hevier than b-series, like you guys said "your not throwing sandbags into your car", I would'nt say my cars the handle master cauze I have wooptie-wop coil-overs and kyb shocks and everything else is stock. My freind also has a eg with h-series, and he has better coil-overs wiht koni yellows and his eg handles good.Axles are the only real problem but when you get into real power your not exactly gonna put your life on those stock axles, you also cant expect to get traction in the rain. I havent timed it yet but I recently ran a ek with crv-tec with a built top end, we were both on street tires (except his were azines) and I took by atleast a car."

"- Chassis flex! I've road raced my car a couple of times on the road course (do a search for a link for the first time I took it out back in May, and what others thought about it after they test drove it around the track a few times). Needless to say, with the proper suspension setup, it kicks *** on the road course. But there is a lot of chassis flex in a Civic hatchback. If you plan to get out onto the road course a lot, get a cage and stiffen up the car. Even on some on/offramps, when banking on turns, you can feel my stripped hatchback's chassis flexing a little bit. Not the best thing since that would sometimes allow the rear end to swing out (but rear sway and some Azenis tires quickly helped that out)."

"4. Extra weight up front.

Yeah I know it's "only 80lbs" but when you are really pushing your car hard it will make a difference. I currently run Koni OTS Yellows (stock, not revalved) and with my current springrates on them I am pushing the max springrate that they can handle even with a B motor in my car. If I had an H22A this suspension set-up would not work for me. I would have to pay to have the Konis revalved to handle much stiffer springs, or buy some expensive full coil-overs with custom rates front and rear and that **** gets costly in a hurry. I'm confident that you can make an H22A Civic handle pretty good, but the car with less weight up front will always have an advantage - period."

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=684550

"H = 123lb short block
B = 104lb short block
D = 100lb short block + oil pan

So with totaly fair comparisons... the H is 19lb heavier in the short block.

NOW lets move on... the big word that I always hear is that its the H TRANS IS SOOOO HEAVY!!! Lets take a little peak here...

H trans = 96lb
B trans = 90lb

OK.. thats 6 lb... so we have a 25lb weight increase so far with the H22.

I will post here within a day or two as I weigh the assembled cylinder heads, as the H head is definatly heavier... but I would guess 10 lb heavier.

As for the rest of the crap... who cares. Intake manifolds are light for any motor and come in different flavors, same with headers and all that BS. Accessories are up to the owner of the car. Everything else hardly applies... flywheels are up to the user, axles, clutch, aluminum or steel oilpans, etc etc all this **** is up to the owner of the car so that crap doesnt need to be part of the comparison.

So what it comes down to is unless that H head is REALLY that much heavier... we are talking about

35 LB INCREASE!! Thats about how much weight off my *** I need to loose so I would be a hypocrite to be hard on the H."

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=626892

"I think thats bull****. With the proper suspension set up I think you wouldnt even notice it(I dont). I have heard from people that track H-powered civics, and all they say is how good it ran around the track. B-series+turbo = H22 weight."

Last edited by trustdestruction; 04-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:16 AM
HCF Member

lol

/thread