Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

I think I need a new Clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 11:28 AM
HCF Member

the $1400 comes from all the labor...clutch alone is cheaper, it was just a quote from Honda for all the labor etc

Update, I talked to my mechanic buddy today and he's adament that it's a fork, syncro issue with my second gear and not a clutch issue per say...so it puts me in a very awkward position...do I just throw in new bearings, forks etc (which i've heard are expensive), or do I completely overhaul the entire transmission and get it all done, the car has only 90,000 miles on it which is right around or just under the ideal amount of miles for a 8 year old car...The problem being that the amount of labor to take apart the tranny and then put it back together is around a 8 hour total job from what my mechanic is telling me, so because its getting taken apart anyways, should i just do everything...that way i don't get stuck with paying labor twice.

any thoughts?

Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 PM

if it's getting taken apart i would buy like an exedy stage 1 clutch kit and maybe even a lightweight flywheel and have those put on

Old 01-16-2009, 04:00 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like your clutch AND tranny have issues.

If the RPMs climb when you hit the gas while in gear, but the wheels don't turn faster, and you don't have broken parts making awful noises in your tranny, your clutch is slipping...PERIOD.

I think your clutch assembly started to wear beyond spec, it didn't disengage the tranny enough during shifts, and took a 2nd gear synchro or fork out.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:41 PM
HCF Member

Kommando I think that's the feeling i'm getting from the symptoms...blows but what can you do about it...would you recommend a brand new tranny, clutch overhaul type deal, or trying grabbing a used one? the risk there being it has the possibility of occuring again in a rather short period of time whereas, brand new, yeah i'll pay more but i know exactly what i'm getting...Sounds like the Exedy stage 1 clutch would be the way to go from what i've researched...what do you think?