Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

I think I need a new Clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 11:10 AM
HCF Member
Default I think I need a new Clutch...

Hey Guys...so I've been driving recently and when i'm in second gear not driving fast but just cruising into a slow stop at a light or whatver, my gear will completely pop out and go into neutral by itself...this only has happened in second gear.

today I also noticed for the first time that when I would step on her in 3rd or 4th gear, my engine would be revving more than the power that was supposed to be going to my wheels.

so i've come to the conclusion that my clutch is going, sooo my question is, what is the best OEM replacement clutch that is not OEM i guess...or would it just be best to stick with the OEM replacement clutch kit.

2000 Honda Civic EX is the car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is my first clutch that has gone on me and from what i've been researching, these are a few tell tale signs that something major needs to be done.

thanks in advance!

Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 PM
HCF Member

exedy, competition clutch..... it depends on what you use your car for and your mods.
if this is just your daily driver i would just stick with something oem like exedy.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 PM

sounds like a bad shift fork or something
if it only happens in 2nd gear it can't be the clutch going bad

when you say it "pop[s] out" of gear, do you mean the shifter pops into neutral? or that your shifter is in 2nd gear position but seems like the clutch pedal is pushed in?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:55 AM
HCF Member

yeah I took it to my buddy who's a mechanic and he drove it and it seems like it may be leaning towards a fork issue...like you said when it's in 2nd gear, it will sometimes, not all the time, pop from 2nd to neutral...this typically will happen when the car is decelerating...soo yeah, you think the fork may be the problem there??

Old 01-12-2009, 12:00 PM

yea i'd say the fork. also heard it could be a bad syncro

if it were the clutch though, your shifter wouldn't be affected, you would just be giving it gas and not accelerating (clutch slipping)

Old 01-13-2009, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

yeah exactly...so hopefully its just something little and i'm not in need of a new clutch...shouldn't roll that way from the problem that's been occuring

on an aside, I contacted Honda to see what the price tag would run for a new clutch and install...$1400 including parts, labor and taxes!!! haha wow! I couldn't believe it!

the dealership is brutal that way! never would do that.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Have you tried draining and refilling the transmission with fresh Honda manual transmission fluid?

Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

RonJ, i haven't done that...will make sure that's done as well...it has been awhile since i've had a manual transmission service. thanks!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM

$1400? a new clutch for my 94 civic dx is 390 for a basic replacement and labor.Must be the difference in years and all the extra bull**** they are putting in cars these days lol.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jonnie_kurtzman
$1400? a new clutch for my 94 civic dx is 390 for a basic replacement and labor.Must be the difference in years and all the extra bull**** they are putting in cars these days lol.
nope, that's not the reason
your car and his car have very similar transmissions, with nearly identical engine bay configurations

Quick Reply: I think I need a new Clutch...