Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Hard Shift

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
HCF Member
Default Hard Shift

I've had this problem for a long time and decided to see if anyone knows what causes it. Whenever i got from reverse to drive (auto tranny) it takes excessive effort to move the shift lever into drive. When i say excessive i mean when it does end up in drive, it ends up in D2 b/c of how much force i have to use. Does any1 know what causes this problem? The tranny fluid looks fine, however i don't know when it was last changed.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Default RE: Hard Shift

I too have the same problem with Honda Civic. Any ideas what's causing that.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:24 AM

Well i well an idea.. The linkage in your tranny is messed up.. The linkage needs ajusting.. or youe orbital gears are messed up.. 9 times out of 10,, the type of issue dose not include the tranny fluid

Old 08-08-2006, 10:25 AM
HCF Member

I looked around on the net a little bit and the problem might be caused by the shift cable. I would have already changed the shift cable, but my dad said wait till it completly breaks then change it out. I don't really think its an internal transmission problem. The only other component that is actually connected to the shifter is the manual valve and i highly doubt that the manual valve could have that much resistance unless it had a large wad of dirt stuck in it.

Old 08-11-2006, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

yeah, it's not your fluid, it's probably just an obstruction causing a bind on your tranny cable. but i don't much about honda auto trannies.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:36 PM

I just bought a new Civic 06 2 weeks ago and whenever I shift from reverse to drive, I hear a slapping sound. It is more noticeable when I'm doing reverse uphill and when I change into drive(going downhill) I hear this loud slapping sound like two metal plates slappin at each other.
Has any one had this experience with their Civics? Is this something to be alarmed about?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM

Has anyone figured this problem out? I have a 93 HB auto. It takes alot of force to move the shifter from park to any other position. Has anyone fixed this issue?

Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by ChevyTruck
Has anyone figured this problem out? I have a 93 HB auto. It takes alot of force to move the shifter from park to any other position. Has anyone fixed this issue?
You my friend are one of a special few new people that understand the the SEARCH button is for. thank you

unfortanatly i have no clue to help solve your problem =/

Old 06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
HCF Member

Are you always parked on a hill? That causes a bind in automatic transmissions.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

lol this thread is sooo old, congrats on bring back a dead thread!!!!

Quick Reply: Hard Shift