Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 09:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!

my stock tranny went out because of a chunk missing out of the bell housing. over time, dirt got in there and ate at the input shaft bearing, which, when it went out, WENT OUT. it took most of the tranny with it. it wouldnt stay in any gear cause the bearing would let the shafts move enough to prevent the gear from locking in, so it just started tearing the hell out of synchros and stuff.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:24 PM

U need to get a used tranny from japan for like $2 or 300 and elimnate ur probs all together!

Old 01-21-2005, 09:15 AM

well im going to buy a tranny now, not for sure where, everyone keeps saying to get them from japan but i have no idea wheres those sites may be, any suggestions? or does anyone have one laying around lookin for a 5 speed civic ex 92-00 that fitts on a d series motor. thanks

Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM

http://www.foreignenginesinc.com/contactinformation/

Call 'em up... that's where I get my stuff.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:07 PM

went to the stie and called they said they didnt have that late of a transmission and as i understand the d series motor will fit any hydraulic clutch from 92 and up correct? owell thanks for the help though i appricate it
anyone else got any places?
thanks

Old 01-21-2005, 05:54 PM

hey everyone got a tranny its coming from chicago tommorrow WWOOHHOOOO!!!
and it only is costin me $50 plus lunch thanks everybody for the help oh also its a 97 5 speed out of an EX with 40,000 we'll have to see how long this last lol
thanks again

Old 02-01-2005, 09:07 AM
HCF Member

Hey where did you end up getting the transmission from? Where did you call? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:40 PM
HCF Member

I have grinding problems too\ but my car is all stock. Every time i rev my engine up to 4000rpm and and shift it into 4th gear it will grind. No matter what no matter how you let go or press down the clutch it will always grind going to 4th gear at 4000rpm +

Anyone know what might be the problem???

Old 02-01-2005, 11:25 PM
HCF Member

synchro is bad.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:47 AM

ORIGINAL: HondaCivica

I have grinding problems too\ but my car is all stock. Every time i rev my engine up to 4000rpm and and shift it into 4th gear it will grind. No matter what no matter how you let go or press down the clutch it will always grind going to 4th gear at 4000rpm +

Anyone know what might be the problem???
I agree with sacicons.

However, red_sleeper's problem with it popping out of gear is not a synchro problem. A synchro's allow the collar and the gear to make contact before the teeth on the gear make contact allowing it to slip into gear with out grinding. It is the angle of the teeth on the gears themselves that lock it into gear. By letting off the gas, if it jumps out of gear, this is an indication that "that gear" is worn and needs replaced. A synchro kit will cost around $100 for the entire tranny, where a gear set (1st, 2nd, etc) will cost about $100 per set. Not cheap. And not simple to fix.

So good find on the tranny red_sleeper.

Quick Reply: grinding sometimes? yea this doesnt sound good!!