Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Going Backwards Uphill

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

Is it true that if a transmission fluid change hasn't been done in a while that the transmission has gotten "used to" the fluid thats in there? I've been told that many times and if you go and change it, the transmission could screw up even more. I have no clue if the person that owned this car before me ever had the transmission fluid changed (car had about 155,000 miles on it when I got it and now it has a little over 164,000).

Old 08-17-2009, 08:45 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Clean_Civic_98
Is it true that if a transmission fluid change hasn't been done in a while that the transmission has gotten "used to" the fluid thats in there? I've been told that many times and if you go and change it, the transmission could screw up even more. I have no clue if the person that owned this car before me ever had the transmission fluid changed (car had about 155,000 miles on it when I got it and now it has a little over 164,000).
Nope. now flushing the tranny can make it burn out faster be ause the high pressure will break all the stuck dirt out and it will clog up the internal screens, and in a honda the main filter is built into the tranny so u cannt replace it without alot of work!!! unlike most vehicles that have the filter right above the pan and you just drop the pan and swap the filter out. they had to be more complicated.

what ur suposed to do is simply drain the fluid and fill it. no cleaner or pressure only gravity drain.
alot of people also blame it on the new fluid BUT THE ONLY REASON THEY CHANGED THE FLUID IS BECAUSE THEY ALREADY HAD A PROBLEM.then they just want to blame it on the new fluid other then themselves not telling anyone it already had a problem. lets face it who really touches the transmission fluid unless they already have a tranny acting up?
only a few people that do change the tranny fluid when your suposed to. if i had to guess only 2% do because its in the maintance book. the rest just change the fluid because its acting up when driving.

Last edited by addiction2bass; 08-17-2009 at 10:54 AM.