Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

FAQ:How to change your Axles in a 04 civic lx

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Default FAQ:How to change your Axles in a 04 civic lx

Things you need:

This "how to" is made assuming that you have a basic knowledge of tools. And are not a Dee de Dee.
I started with the wheels off.
Disclaimer If I did something wrong and it screws up your car too then I'm am not responsible and take the Good Samaritan law. I'm just trying to help a brother out.

Control arm separator - rent$10 from auto zone.
32mm 19mm 12mmand a 10mm socket
Crescent wrench
1/2 breaker bar
1/2 ratchet (preferable 3/8 can work)
Common screwdriver (A strongone mine broke)
Hammer
One other person to hold the brakes

Don’t be an idiot like me and take off the brakes, cuz you won’t be able to take the big nut off.
First get your hammer and screwdriver to pry out the bent part of the bolt so that you can unscrew it.

Then get your break over with the 32 mm socket and have someone hold the breaks wile you take it off.

Then once you got the bolt off take your hammer and tap the bolt that’s sticking out of the middle of the rotor.

Once you can’t tap it anymore take your screw driver and push on it till it stops (the farther you push it the easier it will be to take off the axle)

Once you have that pushed in take the break calibers off by taking off the top and bottom nuts like so I can't remember what size it was but I'm sure it was a 10mm or a 12mm. I used a regular wrench here but you can use acrescentwrench tostopthe small metal piece from spinning.

Put yourbrake caliber aside andtake your 19mm (here is where your 1/2 drive ratchet would help, but when your He-Man like me you use a impact wrench ) and take off the bolts on here. They should come off with out having a wrench on the bolt.
Don't get them mixed up or it could mess up your alignment. Put them back where and how you found them. Same goes for everything, unless said other wise. BUT PEOPLE PLEASE BE SMART. Im going to get my alignment done anyways just incase.

Sorry guys my wifes calling I'll finish this tomorrow....

Old 03-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: FAQ:How to change your Axles in a 04 civic lx

"brake" "Caliper"

"Breaker Bar"

Old 03-13-2007, 10:01 AM

Ok, Ok so I failed high school english, the information should still be good though.
I was pretty darn good at high schoolscience.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I'm just messing with you man. Thanks for doing the write up, as soon as its finished I'll move it to the DIY section

Old 03-13-2007, 01:53 PM

I was looking for a section like that I guess I didn't look hard enough, on the other forum I'm on it’s under FAQ's
Oh and forty04, its all good I think its good to havecritics. If there is anything someone would like to add or correct pleasepost it or let me know.
Ok back to work....

When you get your nuts off the bolts, lightly tap on the end to starts pushing it out, and then push on top of your rotor with your handto help you pull the bolt out. When you done it should look like this

Then once you have it like that pull down lightly on the top of the rotor and pull out your axle from the rotor. When you’re done it will look like this.
I always put my nuts back on so i dont loose them

Now don't get too happynow and try to yank out your axle from the trany (Or I will personally come to your house and smack the DEE de Dee out of you)
Take your control arm separator and firmly tap your axle out it should come out quite easily.

Now that’s the Removal the installation is the same except, I'm sorry brosI forgot to take pictures!!!
I got too happy cuz I haven’t driven my car in like 2 months and what you’re looking at right now is part of my motor swap process
(Before you do this make sure you put everything back including your brakes) The cool thing is that installation is the same as disassembly all you have to remember is that when you stick your axle back in the trany and the rotor,wile its sticking out of the rotorhit the end of the axle with the hammer like you did before and you'll hear it seat back in the trany make sure that it is back like it was.(yes I'm asking you to go underneath the car again.) after hitting it, it should look like this.

You’re not going to be able to put the bolt back on the axleso grab the axle from behind the rotor and push it so that you can put thenutback on.
Get your nut torqued back on and line it up with the grove where you bent the bolt out.
Once you have it lined up take your screwdriver and the hammer and hit the out side of the bolt to bend it back into the groove.

Keep in mindI did an engine swap nothing special d17 to d17 my engine was blown (get the air by pass valve for your cold air intake or you'll end up like me in the rain here is a pic of the engine \/ ) so I just put back my old axles. But I imagine that it’s the same for new ones.

Hope this helps any corrections, critics, flames will be much appreciated.
Oh and if you need help or just need some one to do it for you send me a pm I can almost guarantee that I'm cheaper than the other guy. I’m in the DFW area so hit me up.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:38 PM

I hate the pickle fork... It always ruins the boot. And I always just beat the lower control arm into submission then it just simply pops off.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

Great Job.. !! Nice write-up..

Old 03-13-2007, 05:13 PM

You don't have to take off the lower control arm. I did it then my friend told me I didn'tneed to.
Once you take the two bolts off the topyou can pull out the axle.

Old 03-13-2007, 05:26 PM

I Have to give a HUGE Thanks to my Friend Oscar off of mx6.com
Thank you man, There is no way I could have done it with out you walking me threw it.
Mycuz Frank And of corse my Wife for puting up with a busted car for 2months.

Everyone starts somewhere...
Good luck guys.
I still have a lot to learn. One thing I can say now though is that I know how to swap my engine!
Next is a k20 or a k24!