Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Bad tran Need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:04 PM
SiX
Default Bad tran Need input

Just bought this car without warranty so taking it back to the dealer is not an option.
94 Civic Ex Manual

I bought the car for 2100 even

The mech I just brought it to says its going to cost me about 2000 to fix using a rebuild tranny.

I bought this car as a car to learn about cars with, but putting a transmision in myself is way out of my range of knowledge.

What do you think I could sell this car for and if that even makes sense to do? Is it better to keep it and get it fixxed? (Edmunds says I may get 1000 for it)

Old 04-24-2007, 02:25 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Bad tran Need input

Dude you can get a tranny for MUCH cheeper then 2K. look arround local forums, or sales ads. someone should have one, even call local scrap yards. should be able to get one for <$200

Old 04-24-2007, 04:29 PM
SiX

How difficult is it to replace a trany or main bearing(thats whats wrong with myne) if I were to try and do it myself? I have been doing some reading and its turning out to be not that scary of a thing to do..

Old 04-24-2007, 04:35 PM
June 2010 ROTM

civic's are relatively "easy" for replacing the tranny. You need a lift to relieve pressure from the tranny mount. So, once the engine is lifted, remove all the lines, wires, and misc stuff. Then unbolt the tranny and take it off. Either replace it with a newer one or fix the bearing.

Old 04-24-2007, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

go with a used trans from a junk yard that will give you a 60 or 90 warrentee , cost $250-350
take it to a local shop to get it installed -- i'd say 3-4 hours labor
while the trans is out - might want to check or replace the clutch
still - less than $1k

Old 04-24-2007, 06:44 PM
Cat Fuсker

replacing the main bearings is a piece of cake really, if you're willing to wpend the time with it. At the same time you'd replace the axle seals. and clean out the little magnet that collects crap inside the tranny. Find someone who has alldata and can get you a printout of the procedure.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:06 PM
SiX

That is great news, And I think my mission will be to pull it myself and do the repair. What is this alldata and what does it give me? I am also going to get the haynes manual and the honda repair manual, Is there any other thing that you all can think of?

What kindof tools will I need to get for this project. Lets assume that I have no tools other than basic hammer screwdriver and limited sockets. I know that I will need jack stands and probably a 2ton jack...

Old 04-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Cat Fuсker

\alldata is the program that mechs use. It's a big repair manual with everything. Haynes and honda prolly don't cover internal tranny service, but alldata does. Let me know if you can't find what you need, I can prolly print what you need and send to you.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:44 PM
SiX

Roto that would be awesom, Do you need any info off the tranny ? or can you tell from year/model...?

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Cat Fuсker

year model trim

Quick Reply: Bad tran Need input