Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Automatic Transmission Problems HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:05 PM
Banned

Wait. So you are telling me that buying a 5speed tranny and everything you need for the swap. Instead of just buying an auto tranny.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Stu, torque converter's a possibility, but it doesn't explain why the parking pawl isn't doing its job.

Without pulling the transmission out and ripping it apart, it's really hard to say what it is. I'd be inclined to guess something in the valve body or the separator plate got messed up, or some of the clutches are burnt to h**l.

But you can swap to a 5-speed for about $1,000 if you want an oem replacement clutch. Personally, I'd never buy a used automatic transmission without buying a full rebuild kit to go with it... and by the time you buy both of those, you've probably spent close to what you would have with a manual swap.

Old 07-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by reaper2022
But you can swap to a 5-speed for about $1,000 if you want an oem replacement clutch. Personally, I'd never buy a used automatic transmission without buying a full rebuild kit to go with it... and by the time you buy both of those, you've probably spent close to what you would have with a manual swap.
Well I have an auto trans lined up for 300. I figure ill just get that, and sell it. My parents said they will help pay for a new car. I want a hatch.

So I finally got my car home and in the garage this morning. Jacked it up and looked a little. The boot closest to the wheel is already ripped on the new cv shaft.
Also the part where the cv shaft goes into the tranny is sticking way out.. its not flush. I can see the teeth or whatever you call them. That should be inside the trans... not stickin out about an inch.

Edit: The cv shaft is 2 weeks old

Old 07-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by 96 Civic DX
Well I have an auto trans lined up for 300. I figure ill just get that, and sell it. My parents said they will help pay for a new car. I want a hatch.

So I finally got my car home and in the garage this morning. Jacked it up and looked a little. The boot closest to the wheel is already ripped on the new cv shaft.
Also the part where the cv shaft goes into the tranny is sticking way out.. its not flush. I can see the teeth or whatever you call them. That should be inside the trans... not stickin out about an inch.

Edit: The cv shaft is 2 weeks old
You'd be happiest with a manual transmission but, for $300, the replacement auto transmission is most economical. However, the bad axle may explain the entire problem. The axle must be replaced. It may have been installed incorrectly such that the lock ring on the transmission side of the axle was not fully set into the differential.

Old 07-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Banned

Torn (NEW) Cv shaft

My car all jacked up.

Ok, Trans is on the right. Cv shaft on the left. there is like a 1" gap as you can see.

O2 sensor pushing on the shaft?.. wtf?

And I decided its time to get rid of the hubbies, and paint my steelies haha.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

What do I do?

Old 07-19-2009, 06:15 PM
HCF Member

Lol at the blue hood haha

Old 07-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

... Come on NIKE... your not being helpful.

Anways. PROBLEM FIXED!!!

I didn't even have to take much apart. Just the exhaust to get it out of the way.

Turns out it was just the shaft that was causin all the problems. Hit it a few times, and this time I HEARD it pop into place. So I went for a test drive and it runs like a champ.

Thanks to everyone that helped me out in this situation.

Old 07-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Chubby Chaser

"And I decided its time to get rid of the hubbies, and paint my steelies haha."

plz make a new sig without the hubcaps.. hubcaps are so gross...

ninja E* oh and btw since the shaft was out a little bit i would check your trans fluid it will leak out if axle isnt flush with trans.

Last edited by 94civichatchback; 07-20-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 94civichatchback
"And I decided its time to get rid of the hubbies, and paint my steelies haha."

plz make a new sig without the hubcaps.. hubcaps are so gross...

ninja E* oh and btw since the shaft was out a little bit i would check your trans fluid it will leak out if axle isnt flush with trans.
Lol yeah hubbies are pretty ghey...

And I changed the fluid and checked it. Everything is 100%

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Problems HELP!!!