Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Auto vs. Manual tranny

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Default RE: Auto vs. Manual tranny

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

Automatics cost more to maintain and repair. You get better mileage with a manual because you're not feeding the engine gas as your shifting. Hence the reason you never see automatics in Europe. Well, I can't vouch for Europe, but I know Ireland had none.

There are plenty of autos in europe lol! lol thats the funniest thing i ever heared!

Old 04-20-2006, 03:11 PM

ORIGINAL: zapman98

Automatics cost more to maintain and repair. You get better mileage with a manual because you're not feeding the engine gas as your shifting. Hence the reason you never see automatics in Europe. Well, I can't vouch for Europe, but I know Ireland had none.
I´m at an internet cafe right now on vacation in Spain. Absolutely no automatic transmissions here. I found it interesting that there are a lot of¨TDCI, TDI, TDMI, etc. cars here though (ie. normal cars that run on diesel). Not quite sure why other than diesel is a couple cents cheaper per liter.
Because people in europe are very very tight! lol thats the honest answer anything to save that few pence on the petrol! honestly , alot of people in the UK run cars on red diesel!!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 09:27 AM

Just to clear it up! There are loads of auto's here in the UK! and the reason we have lots of TDi, dti, and TD is because petrol prices here are a lot more! Dont want to get into a big debate as to why the prices are so much higher in europe cos i'm sure most people who have a good idear of echinomics will already know that when some countries use so much petrol at such a low price other countries have to pay more! our fuel prices rise in the summer when the V8 suv's come out to play in the usa! not having a go at you guy's but had to respond to the "Tight Fisted comment"

Old 08-03-2006, 12:11 PM

Plus, auto trannies for Hondas do not last as long as manual trannies.

Old 08-03-2006, 01:49 PM

Autos weigh 50+ more pounds than manuals for our cars.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:20 PM

Automatic transmission is only good for one thing: lazy people!

MTX is better is everything (except for in-traffic driving). Better mileage, more power, control.. You can take corners better. You name it!

Old 08-04-2006, 12:34 AM
HCF Member

Not quite sure why other than diesel is a couple cents cheaper per liter.
Diesels get much better mileage per gallon.

There are plenty of autos in europe lol! lol thats the funniest thing i ever heared!
What countries?

Old 08-04-2006, 10:55 AM
HCF Member

The only advantage i see of an automatic is conviniance. I think that if there were no automatic cars, there would be less accidents since people wouldn't be talking on thier phones, drinking coffee, shaving, doing make-up, etc while driving.
Quote of the year!
and...
same shiet in Vietnam, 99% is manual!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 11:57 AM
TCP

I'm assuming the main reason for the fewer numbers of automatics overseas is the fact that (generally speaking) we in the US don't mind spending/wasting money for comfort and convenience. I know a lot of people from the UK and they just don't understand us at all.
IE the statement about the summertime V8 SUVs driving up the price of gasoline in Europe.

Automatic transmissions are naturally in need of more maintainance.
Due to the fact that they perform several functions that most people don't want to be bothered with anymore; we have to pay for that convenience.

It's all about your "style".

However; in a few cases, mine for instance, it's all the thought of sticking (pun intended) it to the oil companies who are now posting BILLIONS of dollars profit each QUARTER, by being able to drive another 26 miles on a tankful of their overpriced gasoline with the '06 automatic.

*sidenote* I wanted a standard but they're too hard to find in a black coupe, and after thinking about it while waiting for delivery, although disappointed in the "no fun" factor, I now think I made a wise choice.

Old 08-05-2006, 04:55 AM
HCF Member

[quote]ORIGINAL: zapman98

Not quite sure why other than diesel is a couple cents cheaper per liter.
it also burns slower