Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Another Tranny oil thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 07:02 AM
Ben
Default Another Tranny oil thread

My car is sitting at 31,000 miles right now. Its due for its thirty thousand mile check up, but I really don't want to spend two to three hundred dollars even though some say its worth it. How much would it cost to get the transmission oil changed? How hard would it be to do myself? Is it just undoing the bolt from the pan, letting it flow out, then pouring it back in like changing the engine oil? If so, then much is the tranny oil, and what kind do you put in them?

Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 PM
Default RE: Another Tranny oil thread

auto or manual? manual is like changing you oil, remove the plug, let it drain, reinstall the plug. to fill you remove the plug in the side of thetrans (its a round screw in plug with a square hole you stick a 3/8' rachet extention into and remove it, fill the trans up till fluid comes out of the fill hole, reinstal the plug. you can use 10w30 oil or honda manual trans fluid.

i don't really know about the automatics in them, you can probably do a drain and fill, but i don't know if there is a filter or not.

Old 01-25-2007, 10:48 AM

To do an auto traney fluid change / flush you need to use Honda auto tranny fluid only. The other brands don't have the Honda propritary seal conditioner and will cause the seales to leak internaly after extended use. In auto trannys when you dump the fluid you only drain the sump area.This is the reason you need to fill and drain the tranny 3 times. You do this by draining and refilling with about 2 1/2 to 3 quarts. Then drive the car 3 to 5 miles then drain, refill and drive again. The third time when you drain and refill you have removed 90% to 100% of the old fluid. This is the procedure that the Honda dealer does when you have them change your fluid. Also there is no filter to change. The drain plug is on the bottom of the tranny and is 3/8" square drive and when you pull the plug it has a magnet on the end of the plug. You should find it farly clean or a fine sludge stuck to it. If you find slivers or bigger chuncks of metal stuck to it you may have a tranny starting to fail and should take it to Honda. You will need about 9 quarts of fluid to do the job and Honda sells it for around $7 a quart.[8D]

Old 01-25-2007, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

DIY that I made...gezzz

Its really easy to do it yourself, the same as changing oil.

I added Gm synchromesh, HERE is a review I wrote on it.

Old 01-25-2007, 12:41 PM

its very simple to do and dosnt take long at all. just need the sockets/wrench for the drain and filler plugs, drain pan, maybe a long hose and the oil. Honda sells specially made tranny fluid at the dealership for about $4 a qt, i suggest using that over w/e motor oil.