Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

98 Civic EX Automatic Trans Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Default 98 Civic EX Automatic Trans Issues

I am going to list what has happened so far in the progression to where I am at now.

1. Radiator cracked and was replaced.
2. Car overheats about a month later and I notice that the tranny fluid and coolant as mixed into a pink mess in both the tran and coolant system.
3. Took car to honda dealer and was told the radiator purchased from car store was bad and that it needed to be replaced along with a new thermostat, coolant flush, and 2 tranny flush.
4. Took car home and completed all of the above except was only able to complete tran flush as a drain and fill which didnt clean out the system well enough so I towed it back to Honda dealer for 1 flush on their machine.
EDITED 5. Now when I start up the car and have it in park it runs smooth but when I shift it into drive the whole car shakes violently and there is coolant everywhere under the hood. It does not seem to do this everytime I shift but when it does do this it loses alot of coolant and then will drain the overflow and then start to overheat. When it is in park nothing is leaking and everything is OK. I read something about a cable that regulates the coolant pressure into the transmission? I am still at a loss and am running out of AAA tows.

6. All hoses seem attached good and I have no clue as to what the problem could be?

Last edited by PaulfromTampa; 08-19-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:21 PM
Chubby Chaser

5. Get car back and it seems to be working great for 1 day then all of the sudden it starts having sporadic problems shifting from park to drive or reverse and shakes all around and dumps coolant everywhere around the transmission.

could you please explain this a little more...

Old 08-19-2009, 07:41 PM

5. Now when I start up the car and have it in park it runs smooth but when I shift it into drive the whole car shakes violently and there is coolant everywhere under the hood. It does not seem to do this everytime I shift but when it does do this it loses alot of coolant and then will drain the overflow and then start to overheat. When it is in park nothing is leaking and everything is OK. I read something about a cable that regulates the coolant pressure into the transmission? I am still at a loss and am running out of AAA tows.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
Chubby Chaser

there is no coolant that goes threw the transmission the closest coolant gets to the trans is where the transmission lines pass threw the radiator.(they are seprated)
1st i would suggest to get help and locate the coolant leak. is there any coolant mixed in with your oil... is it a milky color?

Old 08-20-2009, 04:59 AM

New Info:

The leaking coolant is coming from the hose going into the engine block right under the wires and rotor. It makes a click, click, click sound and this time it did not actually happen till I tried driving it around the block.

Last edited by PaulfromTampa; 08-20-2009 at 11:06 AM.