Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

98 Civic EX automatic First Gear Issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Default 98 Civic EX automatic First Gear Issue

My 98 Civic EX automatic is having the first gear pickup issue. With D4 driving; from the full stop; the first gear is not picking up. Either I have to release the accelerator On/off to move from 1st to 2nd OR manually move the gear to D2 then it is O.K. I noticed that this issue is happening at the time with full load of passengers or in uphill driving or with wet weather. I mentioned to Honda dealer; they asked me try with transmission fluid change. I tried and it is not helping. Any one came across this issue and any solution?

Old 04-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Default RE: 98 Civic EX automatic First Gear Issue

It sounds like you're having a similar problem that I am with my 97 HX. The previous owner had purchased it with the CVT option. I was told the same thing, but Honda refused to open it and that I couldn't buy a new one. However, I found a slightly used tranny is good condition, went back and Honda said they COULD get me a new tranny ($2k!) and that they COULD open the original. Weird huh?

I had one transmission shop do a little investigating on it, but they didn't actually open it up. I didn't tell them it was a CVT but the tech said it was a CVT and he wouldn't open it cause he's never touched one before. So they swapped out the fluid, and it helped for a few weeks, but then the problem was back. My fluid has a light burnt smell to it as well.

Does your engine tend to rev when it's suppose to be in 2nd gear? (35-45 mph) Almost like the transmission is engaging and disengaging... Mine does that as well. Since there are no gears, it'd be interesting to know what is causing it to do that.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:39 AM
Default RE: 98 Civic EX automatic First Gear Issue

Right nowI see the issue with first gear pickup after full stop. At that time I use D2 and move to D3 and D4 like manual gear car. I checked with Honda service dealer. Now their recomendations is to try replacing "solenoid" ($500)and if that doesn't help then we have to repalce transmission ($3500). I am not going for either one. I am going to drive like this and if it goes down; then fix it.