Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Steering wheel shakes when brakes are applied

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:26 AM
Default Steering wheel shakes when brakes are applied

Hi,
I have 95 civic DX coupe. I have a bad problem with my brakes, when I apply them my steering wheel shakes like hell. I replaced my rotors 2 times already and the problem is still there. When I did the brake job last year I had to replace left caliper because it was stuck and when I tried to put new pads in the caliper was blocking them so my wheelwould spin it would spinlittle bit and that get stuck. So I was wondering if I screw up my pads too because I drove with that caliper for about 10 miles while I was testing the brakes. Some people told me that the problem might be in the front struts, but I am not sure if that has to do with anythingbrakes. Also my brake pedal pulsates when i brake. Can it be suspension?
Guys please help me!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:51 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Steering wheel shakes when brakes are applied

Usually steering wheel shimmy is caused by warped rotors. I would check both calipers and make sure that they are not sticking. Also pull the rotors off and take them to a machine shop/parts store and have them checked if they are warped. What might be happening is your calipers are sticking and this causing the rotors to overheat and warp.