Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Lowering 2"-Camber Kit Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Default Lowering 2"-Camber Kit Needed?

Ok so, I am getting a set of Skunk 2 coilovers with KYB GR2 struts to lower my civic 2" at the most. My question is, would it be a good idea to get a front and rearcamber kit? This is the kit that I am looking at.Also,is it possible toadjust the stock set upso I don't have to get a camber kit? A family member owns a carrepair shop and has all the machinesand knowledge.Thanks forany help.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:20 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Lowering 2"-Camber Kit Needed?

unfortunately, civics aren't very much fun when it comes to alignments, and with a 2 in drop, yes, you'll need a camber kit (from a reputable company). and the link you showed me are the skunk2 components, those are very good quality and i'd recommend getting them and getting an alignment directly after the installation.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:26 AM

Sounds good, I'll get the camber kit I linked to and have install them when I install the coilovers and struts and do an alignment all at the same time. Is there anything else I am going to need for lower my car?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM

Also is this going to be a good set up for lowering my car? The Skunk 2 coilovers with KYB GR2 struts (maybe Tokico HP struts). With the Skunk camber kit?

Old 05-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Administrator

umm, let your springs settle a few days before getting an alignment

Old 05-09-2008, 09:04 AM

ORIGINAL: My04Civic

umm, let your springs settle a few days before getting an alignment
Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Umm... I'm going to say you don't need a camber kit. If you get it aligned and have the toe set back to factory, you won't kill your tires (take a few hundred miles off the tire life, maybe... but not as much as everyone would have you believe). My car is dropped about 2.5" in front and 3.5" in back... I'm tucking tires all around.

Last summer I didn't bother with an alignment; after about a month, you could see the inside of the tire was wearing from the toe. It took all of about 3 months to wear my fronts down to the cords. When I took the wheels off, you could tell it was toe wear; sure, it was mostly on the inside of the tire, but it was feathered. Camber wear takes the tread down evenly on the inside of the tire; toe does not.

This spring when I dropped my car (March), I got an alignment within a week. I don't have any tire wear so far (also, I'm running the tire pressure about 3psi lower to even out any tire wear). I have about 3* of negative camber.

If you want to be super-cautious, or if you hate the look of negative camber (and assuming you have an extra $300 sitting around), go for the camber kit. If you don't want to spend money on parts you don't absolutely need, skip it. Just remember to get it aligned!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022
If you want to be super-cautious, or if you hate the look of negative camber (and assuming you have an extra $300 sitting around), go for the camber kit. If you don't want to spend money on parts you don't absolutely need, skip it. Just remember to get it aligned!

X2 not to important for camber kit.... the rear you can just slap 2-3washers under the upper arm and it will be fine....
with my old Stech springs on my 99 the front had the passenger side camber SLIGHTLY OFF but not to bad. only like 0.1 out of specs....... and my rear was fine with just 3 washers behind each bolt on the upper arms. tho its also a good idea to get slightly longer bolts..............

it wont wear your tires hardly any... more less looks for you.....

Old 05-09-2008, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll lower it about 2" then get it aligned, probably do the washer trick on the rear, andthen see how it does after a few months. Plus it'll save me 300 bucks, that makes me happy lol.I'm sure my mechanic (father in-law) will know how to align it good, we call him Mr. Magic Man, a truegenies with imports .

Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

yea i was going to say you wouldnt need it too, just depends what size rims you got an how low you really want to go and 2inch shouldnt be that big of a deal

Quick Reply: Lowering 2"-Camber Kit Needed?