Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Looking for some rims, need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
HCF Member

I definitely will post pics.

At this point I'm leaning more towards 16's than 15's. I think that the gold looks better than what the bronze does, but it depends on what company you look at. Some companies the bronze is more of a light copper color whereas others it's more gunmetal. I think the ones in the picture I put up are perfect.

As far as tires go for 16's:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....1=yes&place=20

They make the tires I want in the perfect size for 16's too.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

Alright, now that we got that figured out we need to pick out valve stems and lug nuts.

Most likely the valve stems I will get the regular rubber ones and put the chrome sleeves and chrome caps on so they blend in with the polished lip. We have them at work so we should be good to go there.

As far as lug nuts go I'm not really sure. Is there any specific brand that makes strong/good ones that are of the locking style or take a special key? Also, would you guys go with gold or chrome finish?

Old 03-17-2009, 08:23 PM

i have some chrome valve stem caps/sleeves i'll sell you for $1 + shipping (probably $2 total). I used them for a month, because they came with my wheels. I finally got some different ones.

For brand, check out Muteki lug nuts, and buy them on eBay. Find a seller selling for around $50 that has a make an offer thing. They will most likely take $45. That's what I did.

I recommend getting some black ones, because the bare metal chrome ones have a tendency to rust on the splines after slight wear.

Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
HCF Member

That's fine, I'll just take the free stems, caps, and sleeves from work.

It seems like the most popular lugs are Muteki and Gorilla. Why do the chrome ones rust on? Are certain ones just crappy quality? Idk if the black would look as good...

Old 03-19-2009, 02:37 PM

IDK why they rust, they just do. lol

Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 AM
HCF Member

Alright, so I have it figured out that I want spline drive lug nuts with closed ends and tapered seats. So at least I have the style figure out I want.

Like I said before, Muteki and Gorilla seem to be the more popular ones for cheap. I don't want to spend more than 45 dollars for a set of lug nuts, especially since they're going on a daily driver. I found the Muteki's for 35 shipped for the full set, so I'll most likely go with those. I don't see the point of spending 100+ dollars on them.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 PM
HCF Member

So, here's what I've found:

Drag DR-16 16x7 Gold with polished lip 370 shipped

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ivan&tmn=DR-16

Kumho Solus KH16 205/45/16 369 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/205-4...Q5fAccessories

Muteki closed end black steel lug nuts 40 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390033426575

I think that should about do it unless I go with some sort of wheel locks for the car. I was going to order the tires through Tire Rack but I found them on eBay for 50 dollars less. If you want to get a set of Drag rims, get them from Discount Tire now since they are extremely cheap and they're having a sale on them. The Muteki lug nuts you can really get almost anywhere for 50 shipped or less. All I'm looking around at now is locking lug nuts and I'm set.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by the_honda_guy
So, here's what I've found:

Drag DR-16 16x7 Gold with polished lip 370 shipped

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ivan&tmn=DR-16

Kumho Solus KH16 205/45/16 369 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/205-4...Q5fAccessories

Muteki closed end black steel lug nuts 40 shipped

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390033426575

I think that should about do it unless I go with some sort of wheel locks for the car. I was going to order the tires through Tire Rack but I found them on eBay for 50 dollars less. If you want to get a set of Drag rims, get them from Discount Tire now since they are extremely cheap and they're having a sale on them. The Muteki lug nuts you can really get almost anywhere for 50 shipped or less. All I'm looking around at now is locking lug nuts and I'm set.
pretty sure the muteki's are lock lugs. the splines on them are different on different sets. they're not unique of course, but they have quite a few different splines.

P.S. if you get the short open end lugs, it would make the wheels a lot harder to steal without the special key/socket

discounttiredirect.com should have those same rims/tires for less money, and they'll have free mounting, balancing, and shipping. oh, and they come with the hubcentric rings.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:52 PM
HCF Member

Alright, if the Muteki's aren't the exact same as everyone else's spline threads then I'll just get them by themselves. I didn't figure the key would be the same for every spline thread because that wouldn't make much sense at all. Also, I know you're not supposed to use the impact gun on the key since it has a tendency to break it and that you're supposed to torque them down properly, so no problems there. I know the short and open ended nuts would make it harder to steal but they won't look as good as the closed ended nuts, especially since the studs are wide out in the open on these rims.

Discount Tire Direct doesn't carry those tires. I made sure to look before I started shopping around. If they carried those tires I would gladly order the entire package through them but they don't.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

Well, got the rims and tires in today along with the hubcentric rings. All I'm waiting on now are the lug nuts to get here. The rims look amazing, even better than the pictures. I took them all out of the boxes and started polishing them up before I put the tires on, that way I'm not fighting the tires trying to polish them before they go on the car. Hopefully the lug nuts will be here tomorrow and I can get everything set up before the weekend. There's a local cruise-in this Sunday, so hopefully I can get the car done before then.

What's nice is that I have access to a really nice tire machine at work as well as a road force balancer. Also, at work we have the tire mounting lard that doesn't run all over the place like soap does. The reason we have it is because the soap dries up too fast when you're trying to mount run-flats for the BMW vehicles. Basically I have access to all the best tire mounting and balancing equipment.

I'll put up some pictures once I get them put on the car. No point in putting up pictures of all the stuff separately.

Quick Reply: Looking for some rims, need opinions