Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

how to combat understeer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Default how to combat understeer?

allrighty boys i believe im going to make an upgraded suspension my first piece on project 07' EX lol... anyways what should i do to combat the understeer? upgrade the springs and coilovers? struts/sways.... what would give it the most sporty performance handling? and also what manufactures would you guys go with? also id like to drop it a little bit around 1.75 so make sure the ones your suggesting can do this.

Old 03-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: how to combat understeer?

anyone?

Old 03-02-2007, 07:16 PM

for a stiffer suspension lowering it is the first choice, good high quality springs and good adjustable shocks are what you need, or a full bodied coilover. brands that come to mind are omni ower ,tein, ksport, tokico, h&r, progress, suspension techniques.

for less understeer you could add a rear anti sway bar, or a larger one if already equiped.

for less understeer you alsoneed to make the front end grip more which could mean some stickier tires and some front negative camber, not too much only 1-2 degress max. too much camber and your tires will wear out quick.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:42 PM
HCF Member

hey civicn33b, you need to be careful.

if you have a new civic like in your avatar, your car has overassisted power steering. (i ought to know, i had an 06 civic ex coupe).

that means your car turns in quick, too quick in my opinion, with too much body roll.

if you go all out and set up your suspension for less understeer, you may actually set yourself up for snap oversteer (when your tail quickly breaks loose when you turn too quick).

getting a thicker rear anti sway bar is a quick way for your car to get snap oversteer.

the perfect setup is SLIGHT understeer, not neutral like many on here would have you believe.

your best bet is to either lower your car first with some springs or coilovers (with adjustable damping), but steer clear of thicker rear sway bars at first.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 PM
HCF Member

well, i don't know byers, correct me if im wrong, but a completely neutral setup is THE FASTEST isn't it. I mean, you're at the limits of adhesion back and front. Having slight understeer means that the front breaks lose while the rear has some traction left. So easier to drive-yes, but fastest-i don't think so.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:19 PM
HCF Member

slight understeer gives useable feedback at the limit.

neutral is NEUTRAL.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:21 PM
HCF Member

so again, easier to drive, but not technically fastest. I think you just agreed with me.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

no i didn't. you can't drive when your sittin' in a ditch because you couldn't handle the corner because you got no feedback.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

so easier to drive cuz you get feedback, but in technical terms, if you do all of the driving at the highest potential possible (and therefore don't end up in a ditch) , neutral is faster.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

give it up blinkerboy:

In race cars (from wikipedia)

A car that tends neither to oversteer nor understeer when pushed to the limit is said to have neutral handling. It seems intuitive that race drivers would prefer a slight oversteer condition to rotate the car around a corner, but this isn't usually the case for two reasons. Accelerating early as the car passes the apex of a corner allows it to gain extra speed down the following straight. The driver who accelerates sooner and/or harder has a large advantage. The rear tires need some excess traction to accelerate the car in this critical phase of the corner, while the front tires can devote all their traction to turning. So the car must be set up with a slight understeer or "tight" tendency. Also, an oversteering car tends to be twitchy and ill tempered, making a race car driver more likely to lose control during a long race or when reacting to sudden situations in traffic.

Carroll Smith, in his book "Drive to Win", provides a detailed explanation of why a fast race car must have a bit of understeer. Note that this applies only to pavement racing. Dirt racing is a different matter.

Quick Reply: how to combat understeer?