Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Help, bolt broke

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
HCF Member
Default Help, bolt broke

In the process of changing the brake pads on my 99 HX the bolt that holds the passenger side rotor on broke (caliper bolt according to parts manual). I do not have an easy out to get the old bolt out plus it is too tight for vise grips. I was able to get it off the car (metal piece that has broken bolt) and I am going to see if I can get some one to take it out. If I can't get it out does any have one that will fit my car. I can send a picture of the part if it would help.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

post pic i may be able to help ya

Old 09-12-2009, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

Thanks. Broke an easy out trying to get the bolt out. Looks like its a trip to the machine shop. Advanced Auto did not have the replacement bold so I will try Pepboys or go to the dealer. Here is a picture of the part with the broken bolt. The first picture is the part with the broken bolt and the second picture is just the caliper assembly. I can try and get a picture tomorrow with the broken piece in place to give you a better idea. The biggest problem is that I need to get this fixed since this is my dd.

Attached Thumbnails Help, bolt broke-p1010001.jpg   Help, bolt broke-p1010004.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 07:23 PM
Chubby Chaser

you can just get a whole new one....do you have a local j/y?

Help, bolt broke-p1010001.jpg

Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

I found a couple in the yellow pages but I have no experience dealing with any in Knoxville. Could not find one that is open on Sunday. Looks like I will be taking Monday off from work to fix the problem. Part of the problem is I do not know which years and models would work.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

http://www.pullapart.com/Locations/L...?locationId=10

pullapart right near your area. dirt cheap prices and most likely they will have that part you need since thats rarely broken...
pullapart is easy to at least here in indy its 1buck to get in the yard. they have very organized rows where the vehicle is at. just take your own tools.
o wait... just checked on there site no 96-00civics on there yard... but you might take your broken part and see if its the same as the 92-95 civics they have on the lot.... you got 4 to chose from. hopefully its the same part or they at least have that bolt since they should be similar!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

Thanks for the idea about Pullapart. I did call them and I found that they had no civics in my year but like you said maybe the others will have the same part. Thanks I think I will give them a try. I still have to figure out how to get the broken bolt out. A guy at Advance Auto recommended a machine shop so I guess that is where I will be going first thing in the morning.

It would be nice to know if the pre-96 civics have the same brake setup so I don't waste my time.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if its around your area just take your busted part with you and compare them. there is a high posibility that the brackets are the same. but still its cheaper to go check em out than a machine shop will charge and then you still have to go buy a new bolt for it!

even if the 92-95 brackets arent the same that bolt probably is the same and you can snag it up. hell pull the part off the car and remove the bolt and just pocket it or slap it in your toolbox. even if they do look in your toolbox they are not going to charge you for a single bolt. i pocket stuff just about every time i go to my junk yards! i got 2 cheap junk yards in my area, pullapart which already gets 1buck just for me walking in the door, and second place i go is picapart which charges 2bucks to get in the door. so im just getting my admision money back anyways!

Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 AM
HCF Member

Well, I found a junkyard that had a Civic of the correct year (96) to get a new bracket ($10). The machine shop was going to charge me $40 to try and remove the old bold and then I was going to have to find a replacement bolt. Pull A Part was helpful in that they told me exactly which year Civic would work for my car's parts.

I guess I will be getting better acquainted with the used car part market . While I had all the parts of I went ahead and painted the calibers and they look real nice. Now I will just need to finish painting my wheels and that DIY project will be complete.

Thanks for your ideas everyone.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:35 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya you can find some GREAT deals on parts from pullapart. be sure to sign up for there email alerts when the year range vehicle you want comes in it will email you and you can go get any parts you might need or WANT or even to ****** up and try selling for some extra profit!

my pullapart is being super lame lately and they havent been getting very many vehicles. but my local picapart is getting a bunch of these cash for clunker vehicles but they dont have any notification system so you just gotta keep going and walking around the yard and HOPE you find something you want! ive gotten a few great deals and some moderate deals. and even some BONUS finds... finding good tools and stuff in cars and trucks when they first put them out on the yard
today i found 1 large nice pocket knife, a small one, flatscrew driver, small adjustable wrench, some plies with cutters on em. afew pens, afew permanent markers and a lighter, a new can of lock deicer, 1 gallon gas can just missing the top pour plug tip, and a few random wrenches, 2 net baskets to help carry all the finds
finding free stuff rules!!!!! i only bought a sunvisor and the rest was free so only paid 8bucks.LOL hell just the large pocket knife is worth that to me

Quick Reply: Help, bolt broke