Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Ground Control coilover question... HOW DO YOU INSTAL THEM CORRECTLY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Ground Control coilover question... which do i have?

ya mine are 42offset. im not to worried about tire wear from camber. at least in the front... the rear since my lips are rolled i should be able to run true camber... but the front im not sure if the angling in will be worse for rubbing... have to check it out.....

i hope it wont be to bad.... but all depends where it rubs! ill put the car up on blocks and try to see where it rubbs and modify what i need to to either correct the camber enough to clear OR if it rubs the fender when turned to hard ill weld on some bump stops.

im hoping to do it as cheap as posible.... but still done right.
and i do like seeing straight wheels... just looks beter IMO. but mainly it depends on rubbing... if i do ill buy some skunk front upper arms tuner series, not sure about the rear tho.... i might cheap out since those are really standard threaded shafts with bushings.... thought about cheaping out the front as well like i did my 94 with some WICKED parts, still thinking.... i like them, but gotta fab up my own square washer and mine are rusty now. need to paint them alot better at least!

Old 04-20-2008, 06:01 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

GC springs don't come with those STUPID little wrenches most other coilovers do...
Fixed!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o ok good to know... i thought they might cause on there sight they have a thing that says... " Ground Control Sticker/Wrench/Oring Pack"

the Oring pack confuses me......
i got plenty of allen wrenches laying around...
so to adjust them just loosen the allen screw and with the wheels off the ground just turn them by hand?
definatly sounds easy enough!

thanks for your help guys!

it just sucks right now thinking HOW CAN I GET ENOUGH CASH for the nice struts....LOL plus anew battery for the car since mine went bad over the winter and will not hold a charge!
anybody know a cheaper place to buy the koni yellows from.
ive wanted some ground controls for awhile now and at least i got them now.... now i just need struts at least..... and ill be able to instal them on the 99 and drop that sucker back down where she belongs. [8D]

hell i havent driven the car 5miles since i put the stock suspension back on. but looking at it every day on those stockers looks bad.LOL
do you happen to know how these GC soft springs rate compared to the TEIN S-Tech springs like i had on my 99before......

Old 04-20-2008, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

I doubt you'll find Koni Yellows for very cheap, but www.weaksauceparts.com has Koni yellows and ground controls. It's too bad you already have the GC's because for $850 you can get a Koni Yellow/Ground control combo with extended tophats as an option and custom spring rates.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

no actualy that combo doesnt include tophats... gotta add $245 for 2 pairs of tophats.... hell i can get that price direct

Old 04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Addiction you're good at welding right?? You can always make your own...

DIY (w/broken pic links):
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=469485

Thread discussion the hand made top hats:
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1864638

If you find someone making them count me in too!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Recognized HCF Member

aaaaaaaaaaa.... thats a good idea. MAYBE...... ill have to look at the top hats further.... i got a set for a EG and another set with the ones on the struts they came on.. ill definatly go have to check that out.... im decent at welding, might not be to pretty the first time but it will hold!

im pretty sure i could do that home made version..... good call.... i didnt even think about that.
just have to check them out alittle more... cannt beat practicaly free.

and ive decided since OZNIUM has a recall on there HIDs that i would just send my HIDs and extra hid bulb back to them and i can get a full refund for them so thats like 255bucks back, since i got a discount on them originaly... put the stock bulbs back in and be 255bucks CLOSER to the KONI YELLOWS [8D] cannt beat owning them for about 1.5years and get a full refund.LOL then later on i would just spend alittle more money for some HIDs with a low profile ballasts. but much later...

Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok just looked at them beter.... decided not worth it to make my own... either buy some or not use them...

BUT ANOTHER PROBLEM..... pulling the coilovers off and one of the perch bolts snaped! O DAMIT!!!!!

i wonder how much a new perch or two costs....... the two rear ones look like someone tried using a cheap wrench on the perch like i originaly thought and they are kinda mangled up alittle... not to bad... but doesnt look to pretty none the less...
i know i could probably drill and tap the bolt out but i guess it just depends on the price of a new perch if i will just try to repair it or buy 2 new ones so they both look good......

ALSO i think i might be missing the top rubber for 2 of them.... not quite sure........

man that sucked when the bolt snaped [:@] price i pay for buying used i guess. but should still be cheaper than brand new prices.

Name:  DSC00156.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  221.3 KB

Name:  DSC00157.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  205.6 KB

Name:  DSC00158.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  197.0 KB

Name:  DSC00159.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  119.2 KB

Old 04-21-2008, 03:09 PM

IIRC, Ground Control says not to remove those perch bolts. i figure its not a big deal but probably to prevent cross threading when trying to put them back in.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well probably... ive already removed all 4 bolts to ensure no more were seized. the one was seized with it tight so i had to loosen it and it snaped

im gonna clean up the good bolts and antiseize them to hopefully prevent this from busting again... ill be carefull when reinstaling them.

does it look like im missing any parts?
i figure id get the new Orings because mine look alittle crackely... no clue why that HUGE Oring is there.... they where under the rubber boot that the coilovers slide over.

im unsure about the top rubber parts.... they had those 2 in the rear, but the front had these kinds...
not sure if those are for the front or rear, just like the springs they were mixed up...

Name:  DSC001562.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  178.3 KB
Name:  DSC001582.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  195.3 KB

Name:  DSC001592.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  119.0 KB

ive been soaking the bolt with penatrating oil over and over so ill try to get it out tomorow..

im pretty sure i can get some new bolts to match at the local hardware store..... for the one i busted...

Quick Reply: Ground Control coilover question... HOW DO YOU INSTAL THEM CORRECTLY?