Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Ground Control coilover question... HOW DO YOU INSTAL THEM CORRECTLY?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default Ground Control coilover question... HOW DO YOU INSTAL THEM CORRECTLY?

edit.... page 3 how do you correctly instal these sleeves? also any advice on instaling them on some KONI YELLOW STRUTS?

ive heard several bad stories with some ring slipping on the struts and the sleeves sliding down.... definatly dont want that to happen!!!!
might just rig up some extra security sleeves with some piping just to be safe before any metal ring slipps.

well basicaly wondering if anyone knows what kinda stuff i just got....
found these localy for sale. from a EG civic but i plan on instaling these on my 99civic.

mainly 2 problems one.... not sure which spring goes in front or rear.... the guy has them on different struts. i figure he didnt know which springs where for which and screwed up the instal bad.LOL might be why i got them so cheap MAYBE... he said he bought them from oreillys 1 month ago. im thinking he had the soft springs on one side of the car front and back and stiff on the oposite side.LOL

just not sure which spring goes where, and second not sure what spring rate these are set at.... curious to find out if they are supper stiff or a daily driving style...

and unfortunatly he didnt have the tool for them

BUT then again i only paid 200bucks for them. figure id go ahead and buy some new rear bushings for the control arms since one bolt is snaped so i bet its seized. pretty cheap bushings to just go ahead and replace.

i thought about puting them on the EG civic BUT im getting ready to bust out my 99 EK and well... IT NEEDS DROPED again. LMFAO
unfortunatly for me i sold the lower struts/springs before thinking i was gonna sell the EK but ive kept it now... so i wanna drop the sucker again and maybe go lower this time! depends how low i can set it and not rubb anything else...
and on a side note i wonder how low i can set these with the stock struts that are on them.LOL
i figure if they blow.... who cares really.LOL na just messing around. i need alot more stuff before i slap them on!
id like to get some Koni REDs since those seem to be highly recomended. BUT wont have enough cash for another month or so..
then buy the raised top hats for the ground controls, the wrench tool for them, and the new struts. and alignment of course....

trying to contact Ground Control about the springs and asking about the wrench, but last time i emailed them i never got a responce...
and its the weekend so i doubt calling would get a answer.

enough chat this is what i got afew hours ago....

Name:  GCcoilovers-01.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  125.8 KB

Name:  GCcoilovers-05.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  GCcoilovers-08.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  118.0 KB

Name:  GCcoilovers-13.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  56.9 KB

they look good. but the guy said he bought them 1month ago for 1200bucks which i HIGHLY DOUBT since these struts look cheap and rusty maybe the GCovers are pretty new but no big deal. guess i got some spare struts now.

just need to start saving for the rest of the parts and maybe more like camber kits as well. guess all depends how low i put her [8D]

Old 04-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Ground Control coilover question... which do i have?

or was it KONI YELLOWS that are highly recomended? im thinking yellows now that i start looking at them and they are externaly adjustable....

Old 04-19-2008, 07:42 PM
mxs
HCF Member

44 = 250#
61 = 350#

those are standard rates, pretty soft, the stiffer ones are supposed to go in the front (higher number)

You just need an allen wrench to adjust them, I think it's 3/16"

Old 04-19-2008, 07:49 PM

180.64.44 = 7" height x 2.5"diameterx 250 lbs/ft
180.64.61 = 7" height x 2.5" diameter x 350 lbs/ft

those springs are fine for daily. to adjust, just need the right size allen key, loosen the spring perch a bit, and adjust. very easy and fast to do. Koni yellows are externally rebound adjustable.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

sweet that makes me really happy lucked out on the spring rates! so do you guys think i even need the wrench for them? or should i be able to just lower the perches with my hands after i loosen the allon screw?

i keep looking at them like DAM I WANNA SLAP THEM ON.LOL but i dont want to pay for so many alignment jobs after i get new struts...
i was thinking about the GC top hats... and now not sure if i want them quite yet or not...
can i buy those at any time and instal them? i dont think those would effect the alignment because it looks like the spring perches are the same, looks like it just raises the shocks bolt for more travel...
so i might just hold off on those quite yet.... i might not even need them... i dont really plan on super slaming the car...

Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 AM
Super Cereal Admin

If you don't plan on slamming the car, I don't see why you'd need tophats unless you just want extra bling.

And the allen wrench is a pretty common size (not sure, but 3/16" like mxs suggested sounds about right). Once you loosen the screw in the perch, you can turn the perch by hand... GC springs don't come with those nice little wrenches most other coilovers do... they're made to be turned by hand.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya im not to sure about slamming the car... i will try to go as low as posible and still keep the inner fender liners up front... the rear i can slam the crap outta it... i already have the fenders rolled good. the front i only slightly bent the tabs upwards since i kept the liners. i might think about modifying the liners.... i guess ill have to get the coilovers on the car and see how low she will take it and find something low but still daily drivable worthy.... might have to measure a few speed bumps in my friends apartment complex.LOL

now that i think of it... ill defiantly have to modify the front fender liners.... i want to lower the front at least another inch to tuck some tire... ill have to play around with adjusting them to see what i like the best and what rides decent as well...
i just want to make sure im not gonna drag the bottom on typical areas that i drive around...

Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If it helps any, I have the treads of my front tires tucked (so the tires are tucked like half an inch) and no real problems with rubbing (except the extremely tight slow turns). The back you can lower the GC's the whole way with no problems. Also, I can't get a jack under my car without driving up on 2x10's.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

your wheels are 17s right? what size tires? mine are 205-40-17.
you running any camber kit in front? i might have to experiment with them lower to see if a camber kit upfront will help or not as well as the rear...

this is why its good to have 2 civics.LOL i can drive the other when working on the one. so if i think i need camber kit i can keep it parked till i buy the parts needed...the koni yellow struts will be the #1 killer of my cash i thought abut the reds but i read you have to remove them to adjust them. id rather spend the extra cash and just flick a ****.

might take a month to get enough cash for the struts that sucks!
crossing my fingers that my tax stimulous check gets here soon.... hahahaha

Old 04-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

yeah, I have 17's with 205/40 tires (the wheels have +45mm offsets)... and I'm running ~2.5-3* negative camber in front... no signs of tire wear so far. Honestly, I really don't think you'll need a camber kit as long as you get an alignment... unless you're one of those people that hate the look of negative camber (personally, I kind of like it in small amounts)

Quick Reply: Ground Control coilover question... HOW DO YOU INSTAL THEM CORRECTLY?