Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

civic in need of shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
HCF Member
Default civic in need of shocks

my 96 honda civic 4 door supension is pretty bad now, and im wondering, would it be better to just buy new shocks and replace them and have the stock springs compressed, or would it be better to get new shocks and new dropped 1.5" springs? i want my ride lowered, but at the same time, i dont know if its a good idea, one because maybe in the future i would want to sell my car, and i dont know if thats gonna decrease it value, or maybe even f**k up the underneath the car.
what do you guys think? o and i know...why dont you get coilovers, well one because coilovers are like 800.00+++ and i dont want to spend that much money.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:33 PM
HCF Member
Default shocks and springs

Since the old shocks will have to be removed anyway, installing new springs won't really cost much more and the combination will be much better than just new shocks. If you lower your car like I did (1.5" drop in the front and 1.3" in the back), the value will actually go UP since there is absolutely NO compromise as far as having to crawl to avoid scraping on every driveway and parking lot entrance you find.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

incorrect, Aftermarket parts do not increase the value of a vehicle.
At the best, your value will stay the same.
And don't pay someone to replace your shocks/struts and springs. It can be easily done by yourself. Infact there is someone on here that just did that fo rthe first time. It's not very difficult.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:51 AM
HCF Member

okay..i was just lookin for some opinions for this same reason, some people say yea some other people say no...but im guessing you are right tho..i mean 1.5" isnt much anything, but can still be noticeable a little from far. i guess..
yea it seems complicated but it isnt. i just need to get some clamps for wen i take the stock springs out, so they dont go bouncing errwhere

Old 09-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

coilovers..... FTW only like 300bucks for some nice Ground Control coilovers...
and the strut of your choice. if you only want a mild drop on your ride just get some decent struts ur gonna spend about 300bucks or more for some decent struts....
IMO go with the best and spend alittle more for some Koni yellows. they run ruffly 500-600bucks on ebay.
ive never heard of complaints about them blowing. and even if they do they are suposedly rebuildable so you dont have to buy brand new struts again. and just save your stock parts for if you want to sell the car slap em back on and keep the good stuff! you can always sell them and get a good chunk of your change back from them!

ground controls are very nice and afordable! just be sure your strut choice before ordering them. since some of the sleeves are different.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:43 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by macbeth18288
incorrect, Aftermarket parts do not increase the value of a vehicle.
At the best, your value will stay the same.
And don't pay someone to replace your shocks/struts and springs. It can be easily done by yourself. Infact there is someone on here that just did that fo rthe first time. It's not very difficult.
Maybe not where you live, but really it all depends on the age and affluence of the customer. Over here, a conservatively-modded Civic (no 18-inch wheels with 30-series tires and pavement-hugging slam) is worth more than a donut-tire, steelie-wheel OEM civic. The key is well-done mods. That makes all the difference since no one wants a car that was modded by someone who really didn't know what he was doing. Cars like that can be electrical nightmares as well as a safety hazard.

Old 09-16-2008, 12:01 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well from my experience anything you modify that cannt be put back stock will loose value if any. i tried selling my black civic a year ago and never had anyone offer anything near kbb value.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by conceptualpolymer
Maybe not where you live, but really it all depends on the age and affluence of the customer. Over here, a conservatively-modded Civic (no 18-inch wheels with 30-series tires and pavement-hugging slam) is worth more than a donut-tire, steelie-wheel OEM civic. The key is well-done mods. That makes all the difference since no one wants a car that was modded by someone who really didn't know what he was doing. Cars like that can be electrical nightmares as well as a safety hazard.
No one who isn't into modding cars wants a modded car because if the car is modded it's probably been beaten' on!

Old 09-16-2008, 06:33 PM
HCF Member

Again, how likely yoy are to buy can depend on who is selling the car and how well he or she took care of it. Never buy a car without thoroughly checking it out, though. I bought Rhino ramps with me when I went to look at my Honda. Let's say you found two Civics - one was bone stock for $3000 and driven by a divorced woman who knew nothing about cars. Talking to her for 5 minutes confirms your su****ions. The other Civic is owned by a local owner of a detailing shop. Not only is the car spotless, but he used only the best stuff to build it up - Bilsteins, high-end wheels, synthetic fluids, Magnaflow cat-back and nice tires, among other things. After talking to this guy, you find out that he likes to show his car at local car shows. A check at the dealersip shows everything to be in great shape, especially the engine and tranny. He's asking $5000 because of the aftermarket stuff, even though Kelly BB shows $3500 because of the 80,000 miles on the odometer.
Would some people by the bone stock Civic, even though the oil was changed every 2 years or would they pay the bigger bucks for the modded one?

Most people here would prefer the modded one as long as the mods were done right. That's what I'm saying.

Old 09-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Well if you can prove the engine and tranny are good then it'd be fine. But an ordinary person that's not already planning to have the engine and tranny's condition confirmed will probably buy it unless they're into mods.

Not that many people actually have the car inspected by a mechanic when they buy it, possibly out of laziness or that it might cost money to get checked out.

Quick Reply: civic in need of shocks