Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Brake noise FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:18 AM
Default RE: Brake noise

Actually, you're supposed to take sandpaper (they usually use a rotary sanding disc) and lightly rough up the "new" surface on the rotors.
Also, sometimes if you have gotten a bit of anything on either the rotors or the pads, it can cause the pad's surface to get a slight glaze on it. This can make funny sounds when braking.

Old 09-02-2005, 07:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

At this point I'm pretty sure it's just gunk on the rotor that needs to be sanded off.

On Wednesday afternoon I got in my car after it had been sitting in the rain all day, and there was that light coat for rust that had formed on the rotors. I brake... NO NOISE. None at all. Brake hard, lightly, from low speeds, high speeds, no noise. I cranked up the radio and drove home. By the time I got home (7 miles or so), it was making the noise again. And the rust was all worn off. I cursed and went inside.

It rained again that night, and in the morning there was a light coat of rust on the rotors again. And again, when I braked, it made no noise. By the time I got to work, though, it was doing it again.

When I went home that day, it had not rained at all, there was no rust on the rotors, and when I braked it made noise immediately.

So based on this, I am thinking that whatever it is that is on the rotors, is still able to rust over and provide a nice quiet braking surface for a few miles. If that makes any sense.

If anyone has any more input, this is your last chance, because I'll be working on it tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

Spray it with a hose and let it rust before you go anywhere maybe?

Just playin... good luck with it.

Old 09-03-2005, 12:25 AM

Well, if the rotors rust, and there's no noise, then it sounds like your pads might have a glaze on the surface. They need to be roughed up a bit.

Old 09-03-2005, 01:26 AM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: amg6975

Spray it with a hose and let it rust before you go anywhere maybe?
YES, I said that earlier today! I should keep a spray bottle of water in my car and spray the rotors every time I park it!

Sandpaper is my friend. I'll post reults tomorrow.

Old 09-03-2005, 10:03 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs
Sandpaper is my friend.
So, you like it rough?

Old 09-04-2005, 01:45 PM
mxs
HCF Member

AAAAUUUUGHHHHHHH! [:@]

I pulled the front wheels and brake pads off yesterday. Found that on the front right rotor, there were some brake pad-shaped marks that should probably not be there. So I sanded down both sides of both rotors with some fine sandpaper. ALSO found that the outside right pad had a spot in the middle where it was either glazed over, or not wearing down; I couldn't really tell, so I sanded down all four brake pads with 120 sandpaper. Cleaned everything off with brake cleaner and put it all back together.

It's STILL doing it! The noise is basically like the one I "quoted" in my second post above.

WHAT ELSE COULD IT BE? I'm losing my mind here. Since it only does it while braking I assume it's not a problem with the driveaxles or CV joints. But I don't know where the noise is coming from. Thought it was the wheel at first but now I think it's coming from under the engine bay.

Here are some pictures of the rotors and pads, before and after sanding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/12091BEB0389419283DE3D665CA0B288.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/27DBBA297816440D8628B7616595066C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/B209CDB37F2340E48410F5DFCEE7FDD2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-04-2005, 03:27 PM

mxs, are thos original or new pads, cause they don't look right. No pad should be wearing like that one with the spot on it. Every pad should wear over the entire surface. If those are new pads, I'd take em back pronto, and get a new set.

Old 09-04-2005, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Hm, I know just about nothing about brakes but I'll try to pitch in. Sounds like the rotars could be uneven and the pads are only catching at a certain spot on the rotar. I might try bringing them back to where you had them turned and have them make sure they're perfect. Hope you get this figured out.

Old 09-04-2005, 04:47 PM
mxs
HCF Member

They are the old pads, I put them back on because they still have over .25" of lining left and the new ones wouldn't fit right, even though they were the right pads (remember that?) I tried to go back to the brake shop today, where they turned the rotors, but they seemed to be closed today (and will probably be closed tomorrow).

I can try to sand about 1/16" of lining off of all the new pads, like Sacicons said, and I probably should have just done that yesterday when it was all apart. The weird thing is I'm not entirely sure if it's actually coming from the right wheel. But since I don't know where else the noise could be coming from, that's why I'm asking you guys

Quick Reply: Brake noise FIXED