Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Bleeding brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 02:10 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Bleeding brakes...

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

ORIGINAL: mill$civic
this micanic told me this the other day--you dont need to even have a person pump the brakes, just open up the bleeder screw and it will start poring out, keep letting it come out till the bubbles stop and its a steady stream..takes like 2 minits
That doesn't sound right to me. Your brake lines aren't under pressure unless you push on the brake pedal, so how does your brake fluid just start pouring out until bubbles stop?
Gravity?

Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: ngoti8tor

ORIGINAL: mill$civic
this micanic told me this the other day--you dont need to even have a person pump the brakes, just open up the bleeder screw and it will start poring out, keep letting it come out till the bubbles stop and its a steady stream..takes like 2 minits
That doesn't sound right to me. Your brake lines aren't under pressure unless you push on the brake pedal, so how does your brake fluid just start pouring out until bubbles stop?
Gravity?
yeah --most mechanics call it "gravity bleeding "--just crack it open (1 at a time) & let it flow

Old 11-20-2005, 06:06 PM

I have bleed my rear brakes and as expected a couple of aire bubble came out .I repeted the process until air was no longer present in the system .It work fine and my brakes works fine but i have to push my brake pedal a little bit further to the floor now . I s this normal ??

Old 11-20-2005, 06:11 PM
mxs
HCF Member

How's the fluid level in the master cylinder?

And are we talking about disc brakes or drum brakes? because you said both "pads" and "shoes"...

Old 11-20-2005, 06:41 PM

The so called "gravity" type bleeding takes longer, and should only be done if you can't get a friend to push on the pedal. Forcing the bubbles out is faster.

And as AOL said above........gravity bleeding "works 90% of the time", where pushing on the pedal works 100% of the time.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:59 PM

The fluid in teh master cylinder is ok just like 1/8 of a inche under the max limite.My rear brake system is drum brakes

Old 11-20-2005, 09:22 PM

if the rear brakes arent adjusted properly, then the pedal will be low.

Old 11-20-2005, 10:54 PM
HCF Member

Do you have to bleed the brakes after you change shoes? I wasn't aware that you had to. And that gravity thing is gonna take a while, fluid doesn't come out that fast from my experiance. There is this hand pump u can get (its like $30) and you can pump the fluid out, its pretty cool, we got it at my school. You can turn bleeding into a one man job but u need the pump.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:59 AM
Default RE: Bleeding brakes on ABS?

My girl's '99 EX sedan has ABS is the bleeding procedure any diff. if you have ABS??

Old 11-21-2005, 03:27 PM
Default RE: Bleeding brakes on ABS?

ORIGINAL: shortlid
My girl's '99 EX sedan has ABS is the bleeding procedure any diff. if you have ABS??
No, there isn't any difference bleeding with ABS.

Quick Reply: Bleeding brakes...