Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 01:34 AM
ALX
Default RE: Air Ride

Keep this in mind when choosing the compressors.

The 380 is good up to 200psi and is rated at 100% duty cycle
The 450 is only good up to 150psi but it flows faster than a single 380

Consider this, a 450 will fill a 5 gallon tank from 110-145 psi withing 2 minutes and to me that is plenty enough.
I had a setup of 2 450s and a 5 gallon with my truck and by using the required 150psi pressure switch it got a 3500lb truck up in less than a second. I did run it at 175 at one point to experiment and I could hop the front wheels about an inch.

Although hopping is "COOL" it does in fact break things especially in a light car like a civic. The more pressure you run the more risk you run of breaking anything in your car including your motor mounts. With that in mind, I would recommend a 110-145 pressure switch.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:21 PM
HCF Member

wile were on the subject..just a question? what if your driving and one of the bags ever blew? i guess that side would just slam to the ground and scew up everything??

Old 12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
ALX

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

wile were on the subject..just a question? what if your driving and one of the bags ever blew? i guess that side would just slam to the ground and scew up everything??
It goes beyond that. If a bag blows then yes that side will hit the ground immediately. Since all air ride valves use a diaphragm to hold pressure, which requires back pressure to hold it shut, when a bag blows, the valves will slowly start to open as they loose backpressure and then the entire vehicle will be on the ground.

This is one of the reasons I lost interest with air ride in the first place. I was driving home with my wife one night after going to the movies and a line sprung a leak from my exhaust and my whole truck was running out of air FAST! By the time i got it off the highway I had no air in my tank and the frame was on the ground!

It's fun I'll give you that much but i wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, especially in the northern states cause you will HATE it when your valves freeze and you have no way of airing up to go to work.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:31 PM

Around here a proper air ride kit and install is around 4G's Canadian. The body shop I go to does it right and man its sweet.

Jeff

Old 12-05-2005, 12:54 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ALX

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

It goes beyond that. If a bag blows then yes that side will hit the ground immediately. Since all air ride valves use a diaphragm to hold pressure, which requires back pressure to hold it shut, when a bag blows, the valves will slowly start to open as they loose backpressure and then the entire vehicle will be on the ground.

This is one of the reasons I lost interest with air ride in the first place. I was driving home with my wife one night after going to the movies and a line sprung a leak from my exhaust and my whole truck was running out of air FAST! By the time i got it off the highway I had no air in my tank and the frame was on the ground!

It's fun I'll give you that much but i wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, especially in the northern states cause you will HATE it when your valves freeze and you have no way of airing up to go to work.

thats why i lost intrest also..me and my buddy talk about it all the time how sweet it would be with air ride, but for a daily driver i dont think i would risk it, if it was a sunday car that would be sweet tho..air ride is always a BIG attention grabber

Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 PM

yea i totally agree because this car is gettin ready to become only a summer and sunny day driver. this will really put it on that next level because everyday driving i just dont think would be that practical. i just wish that i could find some sites where i could buy individual air cylinders and stuff.

Kyle

Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 PM

no man not 2000 dollars for a nitrogen tank.......i pay 10 each fill.....plus if u hit switchs till it dies then u are an idiot just becareful once u get to 200 lbs. u get 2500 on each fill. and if a bag blows it doesn't mean that your side is going to come crashing down. my friend has a cougar and blew his bag and the pressure from the other bags kept it up and no damage and drove it 4 hours home with barely and nitrogen. sorry if i don't like free air because u hit like 4 switchs then u have to hear a real annoying sound for ten minutes and then u can hit three more switchs. and yes compressors can run that much he said money is no object so he doesn't want cheap..the only thing bad about cylinders is if it cracks u can't drive it. but i have only seen that happen once out of many friends that have air and that was cause he was doin some stupid **** with them all the way up...

trust me call nate at dreammakers 607-754-6674
he is the best and knows his **** he has civics jumpin off the ground with air ride (nitrogen of course)
he will be able to help u out with everything

Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM

just curious alx how many valves are u running or were

i don't suggest air ride for everyday esp. in winter cause the colder it is the more the valves act up

i have heard of ten times more people being stranded cause there compressors burnt up then someone ran out of nitrogen

Old 12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
ALX

ORIGINAL: absoulute

just curious alx how many valves are u running or were
I was running 8 valves, 2 per corner and each 2-valve manifold had its own feed hose directly from the tank.

Old 12-09-2005, 01:34 PM

sweet truck love the black rims...

yea def. 8 valves i hate people that go cheap and get 4