Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 12:46 PM
Default Air Ride

Hey guys new to the forum. I was tryin to find out which would be better for my civic air struts or air cylinders. i mean i am willing to do either or but im just not sure which is the best for my car. so if i could get any feedback i would greatly appreciae it. Truthfully money isnt much of a matter so i am willing which ever will be better for the car. i dont want it super fast but i think about 2 seconds to fully raise it up and lower it would be just fine for me. so thanks guys i hope to be postin here quite a bit.

Kyle

Old 12-01-2005, 01:33 PM
Default RE: Air Ride

i dont know of anybody on here that has air ride.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

someone does. absolute?

Old 12-02-2005, 08:38 AM

if your looking for something that isn't super fast i would still go with air cylinders you don't have as much problem with them as you will with the air strut bag.
Second do not i mean do not buy a cheap crappy kit for the magazine its good that money is no object because when it comes to air if u buy the best to begin with you will have less problems in the long run. where are u from there is a shop in by binghamton new york called dreammakers kustoms that are the best for air ride on the east. i can get there number for you. you want all brass t fittings and all that i use valves from a car wash actually that hold up to 300 psi. are u planning on running a compressor or nitrogen. i ran nitrogen and the start up cost which is cheaper was about $2000 but compressors are usually like 500-800 for the tank too..

Old 12-02-2005, 12:30 PM

aight man thanks. i live in indiana but if they would be willing to ship here i would be more than happy to go through them. cuz all i can find here is places that do struts and ive been leaning towards cylinders. uhm i am planning on running a compressor, nitrogen i have heard will ware the fittings quicker than air will. also what kind of kit do you have? i was looking at an EAI kit and i wasnt sure if that would be a good reliable kit or not. for everything it will be a little over $2000. hope to be talkin to you soon more about this cuz ive really been hopin to find somebody that knew what they were talkin about so ill be checkin back soon.

Kyle

Old 12-02-2005, 03:08 PM

we don't run kits its all basically putting everything together..
4 air cylinders
hoses
brass fittings, and compression fittings (most kits come with snap fittings garbage)
switch box
valves
i don't trust kits they just slap things together by buying everything individually u can get the best of everything
eai i have heard nothing but bad things..
i have had nitrogen for 4 years the only thing i had to replace is one cylinder and a valve thats it ....
instalation is easy except for the switchbox thats the only thing i can't do so u might have to talk to someone about that..
it is a great mod for show cars i love it but i would suggest nitrogen cause u are goin to want to play with it with a compressor u have to wait for the tank to refill after only a couple of switchs where i can sit there and hit switchs for like 10 minutes before i run out the only bad thing is refillin the tank but its only like 10 bucks

Old 12-02-2005, 04:53 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: absoulute

binghamton new york
You around bing.? I grew up about an hour East of there.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:40 AM

im about a hour and half in pa by wilkesbarre

Old 12-03-2005, 05:22 PM
ALX

ORIGINAL: absoulute

i ran nitrogen and the start up cost which is cheaper was about $2000 but compressors are usually like 500-800 for the tank too..

WHOA, what kind of nitrogen were you running? you can find a cheap tank like a used scuba tank by looking at the mini-truckin' forums for like $100 or so.

Compressors are NOT $500 - $800 either unless you run an engine driven compressor but they don't make kits for imports yet.
You can run a really nice 100% duty cycle compressor designed for air ride for under $200 dollars.

The cost of nitrogen is around a $20 refill charge for a scuba tank for 2000psi of air but a scuba tank will not last you very much. A larger tank costs around $35 for a refill and it last longer although it's very heavy and I doubt you could fit one in a civic unless you remove your rear seats and have it come in from the trunk to right behind your front seats.

An electric compressor means free air, all you have to do is wait for it to fill up your air tank up to the PSI you designate with a pressure switch. An electric compressor properly installed won't leave you stranded as compared to a nitrogen tank that will run out on you at some point.

Air tanks are CHEAP, dirt cheap man, nothing near the $800 price posted previously. You can get a 5 gallon tank for $30 or so. If you want a showy 6 gallon that's chromed, those run around $50 or so.

Piece your system out instead of a kit I will agree with that and when you need compressors, line, pressure switches, and all the other neat stuff just check out www.suicidedoors.com and he will treat you like no other company out there.
I have used him so many times for air ride parts for trucks i've built and he will go out of his way to make sure you are happy no matter what the cost.

Hit me up if you have any questions about where to find cheap air ride parts and accessories and how to wire a switchbox as well.

Old 12-03-2005, 10:56 PM

Def appreciate the help man. im down to get all of the help that i can. i mean i am really new to the whole air ride scene and **** so all of the help i can get i appreciate it. im not really sure where to look to find individual air cylinders to buy. i was thinkin about a 2 viair 380 compressors or one 450. bcuz i do agree that i would rather wait to have it fill up then be stuck at a show becuz i used it too much and ran out of nitrogen. so i would appreciate some info on where i could find just the cylinders and ****. so thanks man hope to keep postin.

Kyle

Quick Reply: Air Ride