Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.
View Poll Results: Which sounds better?
Turbocharger
88.89%
Supercharger
11.11%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

What SOUNDS better? Turbocharger or Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 AM
HCF Member

Lol alright, well I would always choose a turbo over a supercharger anyways

Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm Spock Dammit!!!!!

Originally Posted by reaper2022
He's actually right, and that's coming from a mustang owner. Take two identical cars, put a blower on one and a snail on the other. The turbocharged car almost always make more power than the supercharged car, psi for psi.

I still stand by my compound boost sound > * argument though
OMG i was actually right about something sweet! haha i heard that from someone but idr where haha anyway but yah that twin turbo w/ supercharger thing u showed us Reaper was halla sick! U should go for that! hahaha but yes i still say turbo sounds the best!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

^ yeah holy smokes man when that thing was on a dyno and it wanted to break outta that crap. It was like a crazy bast@rd in a straight jacket! It scrambles my brain trying to figure out how i would ever be able to install twin turbos with a supercharger! I cant even do one! Lol

Old 05-15-2010, 11:03 AM
HCF Member

Hey guys im a dummy, enlighten me real quick. Why does it seem that MOST domestics side with the supercharger and MOST imports go with a turbo? If they are both pretty much even wouldnt it be more likely to see a 50/50 on both imports and domestics? Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Late to reply, but superchargers take torque to make torque. On a smaller engine, the gains won't be as good as on a larger, already torquey engine. On the other hand, turbochargers use the ~33% of waste energy the engine naturally produces to make power, effectively giving the engine "free" power. Also, "roots" and "twin-screw" style blowers make torque down low, where the powerband already sits on most larger engines. A turbo or a centrifugal blower will tend to make mid-/high-range power, usually close to the end or completely out of a lot of muscle cars' powerbands. Smaller, high-revving engines tend to make power up high (5800rpm on a z6/y8), so something that compliments the existing powerband (ie, turbo) is always good.

Actually, there's quite a few domestics running single- and twin-turbo setups. The superchargers are more prevalent just for the fact that they've always been a big part of the muscle car scene, not to mention the availability of kits. With a mustang (there's more examples but I'm familiar with the mustang aftermarket), you have Eaton, Procharger, Vortec, Roush, Paxton, etc making blower kits. With a civic, you have JRSC and that's about it.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Superchargers certainly have their place, and low end torque is a beautiful thing.

That being said, I'll take the high pitched sound emanating from my engine bay every time I romp on the throttle