Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

d16?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Default RE: d16?

ORIGINAL: Live_4it

"SovXietday"

Is this when i'm supposed to bow my head and make you feel like some kind of polished gem? ....I'm sure you get enough of that on here.

You obviously put a lot of work in it, and I respect that.Obviously your on a whole nother level than I at this point withmy car. I don't have the money to replace my engine if it blows, so subjecting it to constant redline wouldn't be in my best interests.

Does that make me a pu$$y? I dunno what your trying to imply with that comment....
Are you kidding? I ran my current turbo setup on a COMPLETELY STOCK D16Y8 for over a year. I took it to 7500 at least once a day, it went down the track multiple times. I ran it way lean for the first 2 months I had it on the car. 13.5:1 AFRS at full boost. Blah blah blah.

Why are you modding your Civic if you're not going to just take it to redline every once and a while. 7000 every once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt anything, there's just no point about getting on a car if you're only going to "get on it" half way.

And my point was that I take a 5.7L V8 to 6200... why the hell would you take a 1.6L to only 6000? Honda put the rev limiter at 7200 to be on the ultra safe side, you won't hurt anything by going an extra 1K.

Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

I don't want to bicker but 6000 rpm's isn't "half way", maybe in terms of haveingmy car chipped and tuned for 9000 rpm's... whatever

But i've heard many stories about the harms of redlining "any" car, and I have a lot of older parts on my car that I don't have the money to replace. Also my idler pulley is squeaking like a bat out of hell and I'm worried that it'll seize up if I push it continuesly.

Old 12-19-2007, 08:33 PM

Each to his own, but I take my D16Z6 to 8500 and it still has stock retainers. I'll lose that before you lose yours. By the way, throw some automotive grease on that pulley and it will quiet down.

6K is more halfway than I care to admit on these cars, they really only begin to "pick up" at VTEC engagement which is around 5K.

Hey whatever man, if you really think you're going to break your engine by revving it out a bit then don't do it. I'm not going to stop you, I just think you're being overly paranoid.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Hey whatever man, if you really think you're going to break your engine by revving it out a bit then don't do it. I'm not going to stop you, I just think you're being overly paranoid.
^ +1

6K is more halfway than I care to admit on these cars, they really only begin to "pick up" at VTEC engagement which is around 5K.
Agreed. With a motor that has a "SevenKRedline" (get it? hehe) with vtec that engages at 5300 thats about a 2000 rpm difference. 6000 rpm is almost smack in the middle of that, meaning about half way. At least, this is the way I look at it. Whats the point in running your motor below 6k, the power band of a civic is 5-8k! If the motor breaks then it breaks. Great thing about hondas - they are cheap and easy as hell to fix.

Again, my opinion...we are all entitled to them.