Pics and Videos Post Video and Sound clips here. This forum is for video's pertaining to Honda Civic's, Racing (Street/Strip), Interviews, and Off Topic.

Civic SI-VWGTI-Mazdaspeed3-Dynoruns

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Default Civic SI-VWGTI-Mazdaspeed3-Dynoruns

Looks like the Mazdaspeed 3 is vastly overated

Dyno Runs Comparison

By the way after test driving all of the above I traded my D in for the 06 SI. I think I need a name change now ? Pics coming soon! [8D]

Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Default RE: Civic SI-VWGTI-Mazdaspeed3-Dynoruns

how is that overated? It seems right on par with 260ish crank hp to me.

the dyno however seems a little off, TQ and HP should cross at 5252 rpms.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:16 PM

It seems like a huge loss from crank to wheels especially considering the engine is rated at 270 on the Mazdaspeed 6, but I guess since its front wheel drive only they have to step it back some. I guess you make it up in torque.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Its less than a 18 percent loss from crank to wheels. The ruleof thumb is usually a 20 percent loss from crank to wheels. If that were the case then it should be putting down roughly 210whp. And they arent stepping it back any, an AWD car will dyno slightly less than a FWD/RWD car with the same powertrain.

for example the 250hp Legacy GT is only making 196whp to the wheels.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:22 PM
HCF Member

i think he meant that the reviewers said the car was supposed to have tremendous power through the powerband, but in actuality, it didn't.

it has lots of turbo lag below 3,000 (as does a lot of turbo cars) and that the car had a jeckly-and-hyde feeling when it came to summoning power.

my WRX was like that sometimes, but no car is perfect. I'd still rather have the Si, but you can't deny the 3s top-end.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:35 PM

Well yea I guess your right the numbers do work out , but something that was dubbed a WRX Killer? I would have like to have seen 220 @ the wheels.

My decision came down to having to sit in socal traffic for hours at a time and with a TMIC i could only imagine the heat soak. As it is the engine bay in the Civic is smaller than the previous generations and gets extremely hot naturally aspirated i couldnt imagine a turbo in those conditions. Im sure the Speed gets around 20 mpg if your lucky. I needed a little bit more out of My daily driver. Im getting around 27-28 in those type of conditions.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:37 PM

drbyers
think he meant that the reviewers said the car was supposed to have tremendous power through the powerband, but in actuality, it didn't.

it has lots of turbo lag below 3,000 (as does a lot of turbo cars) and that the car had a jeckly-and-hyde feeling when it came to summoning power.

my WRX was like that sometimes, but no car is perfect. I'd still rather have the Si, but you can't deny the 3s top-end.
Great observation!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:17 PM

No way could this car be an 06 WRX Killer, that car can take out stock SRT4s at the strip now with EASE. I have seen people run 13.74's @ 98mph with margainial 1.9 60' times BONE STOCK from the intake all the way through the exhaust with no engine management, BC, NOTHING. Pretty impressive.

The Mazda while not that powerful through the whole rev range still makes more peak whp and TQ than the other 2...it is explanined in the article that if it used a more efficent turbocharger it could br more effective in putting power down through the powerband.

you would have liked to see 220 @ the wheels? Whats that 4whp? Go pick up a KN Filter or something lol jk Add to the fact the car require TWO gear channges to reach 60 mph and I think you will be seeing a better job of R&D the next time Mazda has a go around with the 3.

Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 PM

Well I guess the majority of us do not care what a STOCK car does in a straight line or at the strip for that matter. I don't drive 1/4 miles at a time. And if your impressed 13.74 1/4 times then good for you, every body has there definition of fast. Id prefer to go 10 miles to Pomona and see the Winter Nationals and see cars doing high 4's and 5's but thats just me.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:13 PM

I definly care what a stock car does in a straight line, as i usually dont like to void my warranty until the 3/36 is up. and i like to have the best possible platform to start with. So stock times are very important to me. and whats this about living 1/4 at a time? where did that come from?

You said the car was suppose to be a 06 WRX killer, which it clearly is not, i was just renforcing the fact that it isnt because the WRX is easier to mod and faster out of the box. You can have fun watching these cars go fast, but some of us enjoy buying a quick car out of the box and tweaking it.