Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

What's a tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: What's a tune?

ORIGINAL: luisynayan
Ok, so basically I need to remap my ECU and get a wideband O2 Sensor... Does this mean I have to get one of those chips and get my ECU reprogrammed?
You will need the Wideband, a chipped ecu, a computer equiped with the necessary software for datalogging and some sort of Chip burner or realtime programmer (preferably the latter). I do not recommend tuning it yourself without a TON of research under your belt. One wrong adjustment to a certain cell, and you could be shopping for a new motor.

What about FPR, FMU, bigger injectors? Do I need these things as well?
FMU's are crap, avoid them. An FPR could be a good investment but you get what you pay for, even the B&M's are getting a bad wrap these days. As long as you're running a mild/average amount of boost, you won't need it, so stick with the stocker. Bigger injectors you will definitely need. DSM 450's can be had for around $50, and you'll need a resistor box to run them (about $20)

Also, what if there is no dyno available? Would I be able to do the tune another way?
IMO it's best to have someone who knows what they're doing, do the tune. If you can't get to a dyno, find someone with experience to set up your street tune. If you get lucky and find a good tuner like I did, they might even teach you a few things so that eventually you can do it yourself.

Sounds to me like you've got a LOT of research to do, I suggest you start now. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:11 AM
HCF Member

Just take it to a local tuner, it will cost you around $100 an hour. They will have special packages where you can pay like $600 for an ecu chipped with neptune or something like it, and it also includes dyno and street tuning. I wouldnt tune my car if I were you (or me for the matter).......its far to risky and one mistake = Blown Engine.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Pete

Just take it to a local tuner, it will cost you around $100 an hour. They will have special packages where you can pay like $600 for an ecu chipped with neptune or something like it, and it also includes dyno and street tuning. I wouldnt tune my car if I were you (or me for the matter).......its far to risky and one mistake = Blown Engine.
With Honda engines it's not really as bad as you guys make it seem lol. You can make your own det cans for super cheap, and all it takes is just getting the fuel right using a wideband, and then play with the timing using the det cans to make sure it doesn't detonate. You use the dyno to make the correct timing adjustments and look for the most power.

Then again, I'm a nutter and my first tuning experience will be on my DD at ~15psi ish probably. [8D]

Old 11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

With Honda engines it's not really as bad as you guys make it seem lol. You can make your own det cans for super cheap, and all it
it depends on which motor you're working with..

Also, the reason we make it sound so bad is to deter complete noobs from hooking a laptop up to their car, and using their l33t jdm tUUnor Skillz, which will result in big problems almost certainly.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:24 PM
HCF Member

its far to risky and one mistake = Blown Engine.
which is why i will be looking for a tuner this summer, if any of you would like to come to bumsville ohio for a while, ill feed you and pay well....provided my engine doesnt blow 10 minutes after you leave.....lol

Old 11-30-2006, 12:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

With Honda engines it's not really as bad as you guys make it seem lol. You can make your own det cans for super cheap, and all it
it depends on which motor you're working with..

Also, the reason we make it sound so bad is to deter complete noobs from hooking a laptop up to their car, and using their l33t jdm tUUnor Skillz, which will result in big problems almost certainly.
That's why I'm swapping to a Z6, I don't feel like playing with the fricken timing issues. And I do agree, you need to understand what everything means and do some research as to how to tune, but that doesn't mean that we should deter them from even trying.

Old 11-30-2006, 12:41 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

That's why I'm swapping to a Z6, I don't feel like playing with the fricken timing issues. And I do agree, you need to understand what everything means and do some research as to how to tune, but that doesn't mean that we should deter them from even trying.
Same here...well, the head anyway..

And I've never told someone that they shouldn't try it themselves. Just that they need to know a lot before doing so.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i love diy stuff....

Old 11-30-2006, 02:29 PM

ORIGINAL: the_turtle

its far to risky and one mistake = Blown Engine.
which is why i will be looking for a tuner this summer, if any of you would like to come to bumsville ohio for a while, ill feed you and pay well....provided my engine doesnt blow 10 minutes after you leave.....lol
You should be able to find what you need in Ohio. I don't know if you're by Columbus, but they seem to have quite a car scene there.

Old 11-30-2006, 07:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Same here...well, the head anyway..

And I've never told someone that they shouldn't try it themselves. Just that they need to know a lot before doing so.
Assuming the guy hasn't sold it yet, I should be able to pick up a complete Z6 engine for $150. I don't like the fact that the Y8 oil pump and pickup like to starve the bearings of oil, no spanks.

For those who want to learn, www.pgmfi.org. And honestly, the best way to do it is get tuned the first time and work with your tuner to understand what they're doing. Most tuners won't give out their "secrets", but they will absolutely help you understand what is going on and what they are doing with YOUR car.

Quick Reply: What's a tune?