Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

What turbo should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member
Default What turbo should I go with?

I am looking to buy a turbo for my D16Y8 and I'm not too sure which size I should go with. I know everyone will ask what my goals are and if I have a built motor, so to answer these first I have a completely stock motor except for ARP head studs. This is a daily driver and I'm not looking to hit the 300 hp range on stock internals because I like my car running correctly. I want a turbo that spools pretty quickly, but doesnt die out at the top end. I was told by my local shop that I would probably like the Precision SC50 T3 with A/R .48. He told me I would hit full boost around 4000 RPMs give or take. I currently was looking at a T3/T04E A/R .63 but I dont want a 2500 RPM powerband. Now, there possibly could be a good chance of building the bottom end for more boost down the road, but I dont want it to effect my decision now by getting a turbo that is great if and when I build my motor for more boost. I'm trying to hit as close to 230-250 hp max on my stock motor as possible without compromising the reliability of the motor. I am realistic and will take constructive criticizim without a problem. I'm just looking for the best turbo that suites my needs. Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
formerly aryiman98civic
Default RE: What turbo should I go with?

i would possibly look at a 14b turbo. that thing will spool pretty quickly and from what i remember it has good top end power.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

A14b would be a perfect turbo for you now but after you build your motor a littleand want to up the boost you might wish you had got something a little bit bigger. I wouldnt shoot for anywhere near 230-250 whp on stock d16y8 internals if your looking for some sort of reliability. I dont want to crush your dreams but if you looking for decentreliability and a somewhat quick spooling turbo you shouldnt hope for a whole lot more than 190 whp. Just so you know your probably at around 110whp stock.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

Well I figured that I could at least get over 200hp, since the y8 is 127 hp stock and my boss has a 95 dx with arp head studs and stock motor is pushing 12 lbs with a t3/t4, that is tuned by mase, the same guy in jacksonville, that is tuning my car when I choose a turbo. He also has had 12 lbs. daily for 2 years now. The guys at the local tuner shop told me I'd be probably around 215 give a take a few with the sc50 .48 A/R. I'm not trying to argue, but these guys at the shop know their stuff and everybody said its all in the tune, and I have probably the best tuner in florida tuning my car. But I am definately looking to hear all types of info on personal experiences. Thanks

Old 02-07-2007, 10:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

also you could try like a mitsubishi 16g they are awsome turbos

Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 PM

SC50 would be a good but expensive choice, you can get similar turbo's from the Mitsu lineup for used and a LOT cheaper. 16G wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mase is one of the best Honda tuners I know, you will be very happy with his work.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:31 PM
HCF Member

Oh sweet I didnt realize you were a jacksonville guy. You doing the install yourself? I would love to come over and helpif so. I dont want to argue either but regardless of the tune 12 psi is a pretty agressive # on a stock y8 but if you can safely tune it for that you would probably make some pretty strong hp #'s. And I meant whp not bhp when refering to your cars current and potential hp.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:41 PM

Just an FYI. Mase is magic when it comes to tuning, 12psi on a 16G/SC50 would be cake as long as the OP kept the setup the same after he was tuned.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

yeah, I'm a jacksonville guy, anybody is welcome to help/watch the install with me. The awesome thing is, is that I work for tire kingdom, so I have all the tools and lifts at my work. I'm not cheaping out on this build, I tried to go a DIY kit off ebay and got cheated, so I have everything except the wastegate, BOV, manifold and turbo. So I'm getting a tial 38mm wastegate, not too sure on a BOV, prolly a greddy, and a A/C and P/S friendly manifold (log style). So if anybody knows where I can find great prices on a 16g or a sc50 let me know please. BTW, I can get a brand new sc50 from my local tuner for 775 with the 2.5 exhaust housing (great for keeping A/C). Any thoughts?

Old 02-08-2007, 10:51 AM
HCF Member

Sounds good looks like your working with a pretty decent budget. I have a greddy type-s bov I could sell you for $90. Its got 2 little dings in the top but its in good working shape.

Quick Reply: What turbo should I go with?