Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo research? my eventual build thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:12 AM
HCF Member
Default turbo research? my eventual build thread

I have been reading up on turbo charging a civic (D16Y8) and have read through the stickies and some other sites several times and think i am finally starting to understand all the turbo stuff, the only thing is i really haven't got the slightest clue where to start looking for parts and what would be best for my goals as far as power goes (would like to have somewhere between 230 and 260)

I read sov's first build thread and that helped me out quite a bit and i must say that from that thread and his stickies i have learned a lot but before I start piecing together a turbo kit (or was thinking of buying the one for the d-series for sale in the classifieds on this forum, but not sure it will produce the power I want) I would like to get some more research done and learn which parts would be best for my purposes so I was wondering if you guys knew any more websites, books, etc. that had more information about this that I could read up on. Also I am guessing to get that kind of power I will probably have to have my engine built up a good bit from stock internals, what all would be needed there to get it ready for the numbers I am wanting? and as far as the transmission goes, right now i have the stock automatic, should i swap it for a manual tranny? what else would i need for the transmission?

I am sure you guys are probably thinking "oh my god he changed his mind again!" well... yeah lol this is about the millionth time I have changed my mind on what my plans for this car are but I am pretty sure I want to turbo the d, seems like it would be more fun to turbo it than to do an engine swap.

thanks for answering another one of my many questions about my car, you guys truly have helped a lot and i appreciate it.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: turbo research?

i love turbo D's, theres nothing wrong with changing your mind, just try to not change it half way through a build lol

Old 10-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Cat Fuсker

You really don't wnat to know what I think you should do...

Old 10-23-2007, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

For aDD turbo D16 on stock internals, 200-210 hp is about the safe range. People havemade morethan 210 on the stock internals but that is really pushing it and especially if it's a DD. Therefore it would be a good idea to build the block with beefer pistons and rods in your case.

As for where to look for parts, check the honda's tech and turbod16 members and sponsor classifields.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Roto

You really don't wnat to know what I think you should do...
lol, sure i do, anything helps even if it is a suggestion such as "get a different car"

doesnt hurt anything to say it

been checking out honda tech's market place the past few days for my appearance and suspension parts and i must say they have one hell of a market place

Old 10-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Cat Fuсker

well...that I say sell the 6th gen and buy an EG coupe and build that with the difference in price...

Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
HCF Member

i was thinking about that for a while except with a hatch instead of the coupe, but really like the fact my motor has very low mileage

Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Cat Fuсker

you do know that it doesn't really matter? If you want to run what you said you want to run you WILL want a rebuild...so who cares about the milage?

Old 10-23-2007, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

suppose you are right there, guess it is something to consider, highly doubt my parents would let me sell it to buy something older though. to them reliability is all based on what year the car is. dunno guess i can just keep an eye out for a nice hatch, not going to be starting on the turbo for quite a while anyways

Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
HCF Member

I don't like the civic hatchbacks as much as i like the coupes. but thats my opinion. and you have a nice coupe. lol

Quick Reply: turbo research? my eventual build thread