Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 PM
HCF Member

I recently removed the tranny from my y8, found out problem was coming from throwout bearing, and replaced the whole tranny while it was out. Got an s20 from one of those jdm specialty shops for 250 with less than 40k miles. Get one if its an option and sell your current tranny as is for like 100$.
________
Laguna Bay Condo Prathumnak

Last edited by arust45; 09-10-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 AM
HCF Member

shift 2 to 3 grinding alomost certainly synchro third gear synchro goes out first in hondas. if you can get an lsd tranny or build one, when you change the clutch you will want one when you boost it anyway.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:21 AM

Well, actually after driving it the last couple days and paying close attention, the clutch seems fine. What's weird about the syncro is that it rarely does it, and when it does it, it's a subtle grind, not one of the super nasty ones that makes you cringe and pissed off.

The original project plan was to take care of the couple things I need first (timing belt, tensioner, lower motor mount, seats) and then start buying parts for the turbo. Install the preliminary stuff as I get it, then once I get the main turbo parts install them all at once, pop in the phearable basemap, check out how it's running, get a tune.
The rest of this is long term goals:
Then after a while I was planning on buying a JDM D15B (with LSD tranny), and then just building it on the side as I get the money for parts I would buy the parts as I go and build it as I go. Then once it was all done, swap it in, pop in a new basemap, and hope the engine runs. lol. Then, obviously, get a tune.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Sounds like some good goals, well the tranny might be fine maybe you just let up on the clutch to early sometimes making it grind a little. Hope the build goes well for you.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

sorry i am new to turbos but what would be the best way for a noobs so to speak to get a turbo put on a 00 civic si and which one should i buy i was just wondering thank you

Old 10-13-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by whtrastaman
sorry i am new to turbos but what would be the best way for a noobs so to speak to get a turbo put on a 00 civic si and which one should i buy i was just wondering thank you
First, do lots and lots of research. This should help you a lot.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=68360

As for which turbo to get, it all depends on your goals and what you want it to do. A small turbo will spool in lower RPMs than a big turbo, but the big turbo can produce more power with less PSI. They all have their advantages and disadvantages to one another. After you read the link I gave you and do some searching on google for turbo information, you should have a better idea of what you may want and what your goals are. Once you know what your goals are, then you can start figuring out what to get.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bcivic
Sounds like some good goals, well the tranny might be fine maybe you just let up on the clutch to early sometimes making it grind a little. Hope the build goes well for you.
That's a possibility. I've only been driving a stick since May. I've gotten pretty good at it, but there's always areas where I need to improve, more specifically with timing when up in the high RPMs.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
A small turbo will spool in lower RPMs than a big turbo, but the big turbo can produce more power with less PSI. They all have their advantages and disadvantages to one another.
or you could go twin turbo and get the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
That's a possibility. I've only been driving a stick since May. I've gotten pretty good at it, but there's always areas where I need to improve, more specifically with timing when up in the high RPMs.
Same here though i got my car in may and i've gotten really go i can do 1/4 second shifts in high rpms. it just takes a lot of practice

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by brutekiller787
or you could go twin turbo and get the best of both worlds.
is this toyotasupraforum.com now? because im pretty sure its not and im pretty sure that was a joke right?

go with t3/t04e (t3/t4) with the .48 a/r 50 trim instead of the .63 a/r 57 trim, youll spool up a lot faster and still have a decent sized turbo (that you can keep you a/c and power steering with if you do it right)

it runs out of juice up top, but it'll be more streetable.

as for you tranny, either a: rebuilt it now or b: swap it with an s20 or s40 and rebuild it out of the car. my car was grinding 3rd, and howling in 5th (bearings), and well, lets say its stuck in 4th now thank God we drive hondas and parts are cheap as the local corner street hooker.

any other q's about anything just pm me and ill see what i can help ya out with

Old 10-15-2008, 03:11 PM
HCF Member

it was meant as a joke but i guess with a bit of custom fabbing you could

Quick Reply: turbo problems