Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

No clue

Old 10-11-2008, 08:26 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I need to replace my clutch before I go turbo, I think it's going out. The transmission makes a noise when the clutch isn't pressed in (bad something bearing), (it's only loud enough to hear at idle with stereo off). Also, the clutch seems to hesitate when I go to put the car in reverse I have to wait a second or two before moving the shifter to reverse, otherwise it will grind. Also, when shifting in the high RPMs it sometimes grinds from 2nd to 3rd. I think it also slips sometimes, because also while shifting in those high RPMs it doesn't always grab right away and start to accelerate in the next gear, it hesitates a little.

Will an EXEDY OEM Clutch Kit be good enough to hold 200WHP when I go turbo?
The bolded stuff sounds like the transmission's fault, not the clutch. Also, try putting it in another gear before putting it in reverse, I think this is a common problem because every civic I have driven has had problem getting into reverse. Sometimes I even have to shift to third, then to neutral, let the clutch out, push the clutch back in, then try putting it in reverse before it will do it without grinding.

I think you might want something a little stronger than a OEM replacement. Look around a little and find a clutch that will hold a little more torque than you are expecting to make.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:30 PM

the grinding while shifting from 2nd to 3rd is rare
do you think it could be caused by pushing the shifter too far/hard into gear?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:34 PM
HCF Member

It's probably a syncro... common Honda problem to have 2nd to 3rd issues. My 97 had that problem and my 2000 is starting to show a hint of it becoming a problem down the road.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 PM

is it really a big deal or do i need to take care of it asap?
It's very rare when it grinds, and only does it if I shift hard. If I pay close attention to how hard I shift I can keep it from doing it by just shifting softer but still quick.
Also, it's a really really short grind, not like the kind of grind you would get if you shifted into a gear without the clutch pushed in.

also, how hard is it to replace the syncro if i'm already gonna have the tranny out to replace the clutch?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

You have to take the tranny apart.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Mobsta Man
You have to take the tranny apart.
is it urgent though?
should i be worrying about it?

Old 10-11-2008, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

thread jackers..... lol

Old 10-11-2008, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by bigmikew1
thread jackers..... lol
lol
well the dude kinda just never said anything and the thread got jacked but since the dude isn't coming back and it was a specific question it's kinda just like an open forum now
lol

Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
HCF Member

We get a bunch of useless threads around there anymore, I'm glad to see at least one of them turn into something worthwhile.

I don't think the syncro problem is really that big of a problem, but ignoring it isn't going to make it any better either. I say if you have the luxury of downtime then I would go ahead and have someone replace the syncro for you since you will already have the tranny removed anyway. On the other hand, if you can't afford some downtime, then you probably shouldn't be trying to boost it in the first place.

Quick Reply: turbo problems