Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 07:51 PM
HCF Member

Depends on how it runs with the basemap. I got lucky on my turbo and it runs flawlessly on teh basemap. I'm getting it tuned for safety on monday. But I'm driving 2.5 hours to get there. If it runs aight, i say drive wherever you need to get teh best tune you can.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle
Depends on how it runs with the basemap. I got lucky on my turbo and it runs flawlessly on teh basemap. I'm getting it tuned for safety on monday. But I'm driving 2.5 hours to get there. If it runs aight, i say drive wherever you need to get teh best tune you can.
oh so you've actually been using it in boost with the basemap?

i wonder how good phearable can make the basemap from submitting my info (that's how you order it on their site)... they seem to know their **** pretty well

right now i'm running a chip from them with my I/H/E setup and it runs great (bought it because it was cheap and it takes care of my ECU socketing so that when I turbo it's already ready to pop in a chip)

Old 10-09-2008, 08:01 PM
HCF Member

Well, my tune is different than that. The kit was professionally tuned for the car with stock exhaust, on a working car in california. They just put that tune on as the basemap...so it's a little better than a base map.... That video you saw was in boost at 10 psi on the basemap...

But maybe you'll get lucky with that chip.

Old 10-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Apostle
But maybe you'll get lucky with that chip.
Well, when you order the chip you have to specify engine, engine mods, turbo information, and how much boost

if i give them a detailed description i'd imagine they'll be able to come up with something pretty close to exactly what i'll need

Old 10-09-2008, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

would be great if they get it right

Old 10-09-2008, 11:14 PM

wait, if i install it all and then install the basemap chip, if i have a wideband and an A/F ratio gauge installed, couldn't I judge for myself whether it needs an actual tune or the basemap is fine?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 AM
HCF Member

Yeah...that's how I know my tune is good. It feels good, no knocking and teh a/f's are great. I get 14.6's at idle and during cruise, and boost and any throttle it drops down to anywhere betwen10-12. Wideband is a must.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:05 AM
Snail'n Admin

you do not need a wideband. it's convenient, but when you get it tuned, your tuner will have one, and if not, Id walk right out the door.

Old 10-10-2008, 06:11 AM
HCF Member

It's true you don't need it all the time, but if you're gonna see whether your car is driveable for 2 hours, you should check it with a wideband. If you're not going to drive it before teh tune, then yeah, it's uneccessary.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 PM

Well, it'll probably be a little longer before I start the project. I may go ahead and start with the preliminary stuff though.
I need to replace my clutch before I go turbo, I think it's going out. The transmission makes a noise when the clutch isn't pressed in (bad something bearing), (it's only loud enough to hear at idle with stereo off). Also, the clutch seems to hesitate when I go to put the car in reverse I have to wait a second or two before moving the shifter to reverse, otherwise it will grind. Also, when shifting in the high RPMs it sometimes grinds from 2nd to 3rd. I think it also slips sometimes, because also while shifting in those high RPMs it doesn't always grab right away and start to accelerate in the next gear, it hesitates a little.

Will an EXEDY OEM Clutch Kit be good enough to hold 200WHP when I go turbo?

Quick Reply: turbo problems