Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo prep.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
HCF Member
Default Turbo prep.

Well a turbo project would be in the distance future, possibly next summer, but i want to prepare for it with other parts that will benefit the motor until/and when I finally turbo my civic. I have a mainly stock 99 civic ex. I have been doing my research, but just wanted to see what everyone though of the parts i have chosen for prepping the engine. Scratch the DC header, I believe I will be buying it off a guy on this site. Anyways, thanks for any input and here is my shopping car on procivic...It might now come up for everyone so if it doesn then just look down. http://www.procivic.com/index.php?ma...=shopping_cart

I was also thinking about getting this fuel management system. Anyone use this b4 or anyone have and tips or cons of the product? Thanks
http://www.apexi-usa.com/product_ele...=260&pageNum=1

MSD Blaster SS Ignition Coil MSD Blaster SS Ignition Coil
Application: 1988 to 2000 Civic (Also CRX) (Also Del Sol)

$51.86

MSD Modified Distributor Cap & Rotor Kit MSD Modified Distributor Cap & Rotor Kit
Application: 1992 to 2000 Civic (Also Del Sol) (Not HX, GX)

$43.97

MSD Pro-Billet Distributor MSD Pro-Billet Distributor
Application: Universal (Ignition Coil)

$56.79

DC Sports Ceramic Coated Headers DC Sports Ceramic Coated Headers
Application: 1996 to 2000 Civic EX (4-1, One Piece, M/T Only)

$297.99

DENSO Iridium Power Spark Plugs DENSO Iridium Power Spark Plugs
Application: 1996 to 2000 Civic (Not Del Sol VTEC) (Not Coupe Si) (1 Step Colder Heat Range)

$51.56

AEM Tru-Time Adjustable Cam Gears AEM Tru-Time Adjustable Cam Gears
Application: 1996 to 2000 Civic (Not Del Sol VTEC) (Not Coupe Si)
Color: Blue

$107.41

ACT XACT ProLite Flywheel ACT XACT ProLite Flywheel
Application: 1990 to 2005 Civic (Also CRX) (Also Del Sol) w/ D Series Engine

$257.06

ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit ACT Heavy Duty Clutch Kit
Application: 1992 to 2005 Civic (Also Del Sol) w/ D Series Engine (Modified Street Disc)

$324.96

Skunk2 Short Shifter Skunk2 Short Shifter
Application: 1992 to 2000 Civic (Also Del Sol)

$113.97

Skunk2 Billet Shift **** Skunk2 Billet Shift ****
Application: Universal (5 Speed)

$48.09

Tokico HP Series Shocks / Struts Tokico HP Series Shocks / Struts
Application: 1992 to 2000 Civic (Also Del Sol) (Front)

$149.74

Tokico HP Series Shocks / Struts Tokico HP Series Shocks / Struts
Application: 1992 to 2000 Civic (Also Del Sol) (Rear)

$144.62

Skunk2 Coilovers Skunk2 Coilovers
Application: 1988 to 2000 Civic (Also CRX) (Also Del Sol)

$275.07

AEM High Volume Fuel Rail AEM High Volume Fuel Rail
Application: 1996 to 2000 Civic CX, DX, LX, EX
Color: Blue

$134.95

Old 04-28-2008, 11:22 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo prep.

Well...if your looking to do boost anywhere in the future a DC header is gunna be a waste of money.

might want to look into some things to beef up your engine internals such as some ARP head studs and if you dont already have a MLS headgasket one of those. You will get much more out of your engine if you rebuild before you boost.

Im sure you will have a billion people tell you more info and another billion people telling you to do your research which is true, otherwise you will just be wasiting your money on useless things. I can tell you that the stock fuel rail is good for a fair ammount of hp.

You also said that you wan't cam gears but they arn't going to do much good without upgrading your cams

Start reading up on turbos before you start buying things and you will save a bunch of money in the long run.

Sounds good though..besure to post lots of pics when you do attempt your turbo build

Old 04-29-2008, 04:35 AM
Snail'n Admin

Dont bother with an mls headgasket, oem honda ones are preferred over all the others, but i agree with everything else hail said.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: GReddy_Civic

Dont bother with an mls headgasket, oem honda ones are preferred over all the others, but i agree with everything else hail said.
some oem hondas ones are mls[8D]

Old 04-29-2008, 04:08 PM
Snail'n Admin

^^^iFail. I didnt read that list, and wow, theres a lot of stuff you do not need on that list. For one, that "management" system is pointless, especially if youre gonna boost. You dont need any of that ignition garbage either. You wont need it for boost unless youre pushin 400+ or so. Do you ahve a good catback or getting one? You dont need a fuel rail either. I dont even wanna get into what you do need. Theres stuff you could buy now for boost later, but itd be pointless to waste my time. No offense, but you dont know the first thing about boost. Use common sense, research, dont waste money and look farther down the road.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

Most, if not all, of that list is a waste of money.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 PM
Snail'n Admin

meh, the suspension isnt bad, the spark plugs are not necessary and that clutch will kick your *ss when driving it daily

Old 04-29-2008, 07:47 PM
HCF Member

ok, well I have been doing research and I saw that having a really good ignition setup was a good idea plus it isnt that expensive. I wanted to get a lot of that stuff incase I didnt decide to turbo, so thanks for the heads up, yes i kno you dont need a fuel rail for a turbo e****ially since im not going to be running that high of psi lol but I was just kinda putting stuff in the cart to get a general cost. I really want my engine to be in good shape and dont want to cheap out on it because then you will just end up spend more to fix the problems you could have solved by just buying the part in the first place. and for the clutch they didnt really have wat i was looking for at procivic so i just put what ever they had in, thanks for letting me know about that clutch, i dont want my stock one to be under to much stress, btw i'm looking to boost 7-9psi. Goal is to hit 200 or a lil over. I think with a good tune I will reach this easily

Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
HCF Member

Sounds good dude...just make sure you do your research and you should be good!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:15 PM
HCF Member

yea im at least a year away, and plan this summer to take the engine out and do a very good job of cleaning it and inspecting for to much wear and tear. Along with some internal mods. Hopfully I will be able to spend a little over 1k on the engine and 800 on the wheels and suspension, but anything having to do with cars is always going to cost more than you expect, so we will see if I hit my 2.5k goal for this summer.

Quick Reply: Turbo prep.