Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?

New things have come to light and I decided that im going to do a total engine over haul. I found out there will be some money comming my and the guy that is going to help me do this said he could rebuild the engine. For this project I'm going to shoot for 250hp and try not to spend more than $3500. You think I can make that much power with that much money?

PS: I'm not going to start this project till late winter because there would be no point in doing all this stuff now and then having all that power go to waste driving the car in the snow. When I do start this project im going to post pics and I also might post the parts im going to use.

Old 10-10-2006, 02:39 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

would you honestly have to do a compression test though....waht if you just did a overhaul on the engine replacing everything you can like me....isnt that enough?? i mean i plan to basically rebuild both the block and head, so i can be ready for boost by the end of winter...

How hard is it to just run the test and see what you're working with?? It takes 20 minutes in the driveway tops.....and its free
and I would hope that you would do a compression test after you rebuild the motor...

Old 10-13-2006, 11:38 AM

ORIGINAL: mr.w

New things have come to light and I decided that im going to do a total engine over haul. I found out there will be some money comming my and the guy that is going to help me do this said he could rebuild the engine. For this project I'm going to shoot for 250hp and try not to spend more than $3500. You think I can make that much power with that much money?

PS: I'm not going to start this project till late winter because there would be no point in doing all this stuff now and then having all that power go to waste driving the car in the snow. When I do start this project im going to post pics and I also might post the parts im going to use.
250whp on a stock Dseries is completely possible.

Old 10-13-2006, 01:42 PM
HCF Member

One of the things the SHO guys replace first BEFORE boosting is the rod bearings. After many miles they wear. After you add boost, they wear more. Rod bearings aren't too difficult to replace and you'll give your motor more life.
ORIGINAL: mxs

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

would you honestly have to do a compression test though....waht if you just did a overhaul on the engine replacing everything you can like me....isnt that enough?? i mean i plan to basically rebuild both the block and head, so i can be ready for boost by the end of winter...

How hard is it to just run the test and see what you're working with?? It takes 20 minutes in the driveway tops.....and its free
and I would hope that you would do a compression test after you rebuild the motor...

Don't forget to break it in firstl

Old 10-13-2006, 06:00 PM

you can definately make 250 for the money youre talking about spending

Old 10-14-2006, 08:57 PM

so you say if the engine is healthy aye? i have 185xxx miles and my car runs a TON better than my accord that JUST had 130,000 miles on it.... would a turbo be all good on this engine?

Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 PM

Honestly, this is a simple concept. Compression and leakdown checks, when you get results either fix to get good results or go ahead and boost if you're satisfied.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:16 AM
HCF Member

I just ordered my turbo kit off ebay( don't worry I spent the extra money to get a good kit) its a greddy kit with e managment but no intercooler. I don't plan on putting this on till late winter so it will give me some time to find and intercooler, exhaust, downpipe, and maybe colder plugs. Oh yeah my engine is healthy so no worrys about low compression or anything, hopefully my engine doesn't blow up after I get this thing on.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: mr.w

I just ordered my turbo kit off ebay( don't worry I spent the extra money to get a good kit) its a greddy kit with e managment but no intercooler. I don't plan on putting this on till late winter so it will give me some time to find and intercooler, exhaust, downpipe, and maybe colder plugs. Oh yeah my engine is healthy so no worrys about low compression or anything, hopefully my engine doesn't blow up after I get this thing on.
What were your compression numbers?

Also, ditch e-manage and get look for some real engine management. Chipped ecu + CROME ftw!