Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:32 AM
HCF Member
Default Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?

I want to build a turbo kit for my 93 EX but it has 96k miles on the motor. Should I turbo my car with that many miles on it?

Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?

sure, run a compression and leak down test then start reading about what it takes to go boost

Old 10-09-2006, 10:21 AM
Cat Fuсker

as long as the engine is healthy - why not

Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM

Im planning on boosting my EX this spring, and it should have over 100k by then. Its all about what kind of condition your motor is in. The answer is yes, if the motor still shows proper compression in the cylinders.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:50 AM
formerly aryiman98civic

i agree with the last three guys. go to autozone and rent out a compression test kit. test it and then if the numbers are good start researching for what you need and start building your kit.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:26 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I'm positive that my engine is good but since I don't plan on putting the turbo on till spring(wouldn't make sense to put it on just before winter) so I'll check the compression on it some time soon. Thanks again for the advice.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: mr.w

Yeah I'm positive that my engine is good but since I don't plan on putting the turbo on till spring(wouldn't make sense to put it on just before winter) so I'll check the compression on it some time soon. Thanks again for the advice.
Definitely do. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is assuming that your car is in full working condition before boost. Be absolutely sure of it, because if its not, boost will take your weakest point and rape it.

Marty said it best when he told me, "Boost will take the smallest problem you may have, and put it center stage." Basically, if you have weak rings in one cylinder and the compression is slightly lower than the rest, once you boost, it will desimate those rings

Old 10-10-2006, 09:36 AM

would you honestly have to do a compression test though....waht if you just did a overhaul on the engine replacing everything you can like me....isnt that enough?? i mean i plan to basically rebuild both the block and head, so i can be ready for boost by the end of winter...

Old 10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: mr.w

Definitely do. One of the biggest mistakes you can make is assuming that your car is in full working condition before boost. Be absolutely sure of it, because if its not, boost will take your weakest point and rape it.

Marty said it best when he told me, "Boost will take the smallest problem you may have, and put it center stage." Basically, if you have weak rings in one cylinder and the compression is slightly lower than the rest, once you boost, it will desimate those rings

Yup. The rings on piston #3 in my motor have started to fail... now its crashing down hard. I consume 4-5 quarts of oil in 1000 miles.

A compression and a leakdown would do you very good.

Old 10-10-2006, 12:47 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: BurryTheSpeedo

would you honestly have to do a compression test though....waht if you just did a overhaul on the engine replacing everything you can like me....isnt that enough?? i mean i plan to basically rebuild both the block and head, so i can be ready for boost by the end of winter...

How hard is it to just run the test and see what you're working with?? It takes 20 minutes in the driveway tops.....and its free

Quick Reply: Turbo my d16 with 96k miles?