Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo my 2004 honda civic

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Default Turbo my 2004 honda civic

I want to turbo my 2004 2 door automatic honda civic ex coupe. I am new to cars and parts but trying to learn as fast as possible. I would like advice on what parts I should get to make my turbo to gain as much horsepower from my engine as possible. I am working with pretty much from $1000-3000. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2006, 07:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo my 2004 honda civic

It will be a pretty custom setup... you're looking 2000 in parts and more for install... I asked my shop about boosting my 04 lx and they said it wouldn't be impossible, just not worth it... get a k20 and dont boost.

Old 11-18-2006, 11:43 PM

bro dont turbo an automatic, that is pointless. and a waste of time,. will be not as much fun to drive

Old 12-29-2006, 03:21 PM

bringing this back from the dead here. why not an auto. first off it makes for a great sleeper because unless you rev the motor in park or nutral you will never here the blow off valve like you do when you shift a stick car. second with an automatic you can be more consistant when drag racing (at a track of course) not having to worry about shift points or missed shifts. but anyway on another note i have a guy i work with that wants to do the same thing or the K20 swap. the cheapest i found the K20 (from RSX-S not the standard RSX or Si) was just around 4000. on top of that going from the auto to the stick you have to do a little cuttig and welding then from what i understand the ECU has a security device that when unhooked is a pain to work around going into another car so pretty much puts you at a stand alone engine management so theres another couple hundred. anyway any other thoughts on turboing an auto 04 Ex i found one kit so far for 3200 but needs aftermarket fuel management eith by way of AEM with larger injectors or Greddy e-manage with larger injectors the second is the cheaper route being 800 the AEM is 1800. what about doing a 5 spd swap with the D17 and go turbo??????

Old 12-29-2006, 09:52 PM

Why not auto?

Because Honda didn't make the trannies to take any more power than stock. You'll probably destroy the tranny or it's aiding components.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

the auto may be week for you honda guys but i turboed my 94 auto celica st and it handels the power just fine , when i run it hard i dont lose any boost during shifts it has full boost all the way unlike the sticks that drop boost during shifts un less u hold the gas pedal during each shift ,but i think that could be very hard on a stock stick tranny , if you enjoy shifting gears your right it wont be as fun ,but if your in to watching a boost gauge and just push and go than i say go for it , just my opinion

Old 12-30-2006, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: mugen93

the auto may be week for you honda guys but i turboed my 94 auto celica st and it handels the power just fine , when i run it hard i dont lose any boost during shifts it has full boost all the way unlike the sticks that drop boost during shifts un less u hold the gas pedal during each shift ,but i think that could be very hard on a stock stick tranny , if you enjoy shifting gears your right it wont be as fun ,but if your in to watching a boost gauge and just push and go than i say go for it , just my opinion
Let me reiterate.

Honda auto trannies do not like boost.

The Celica auto tranny is a dumbed down version of the supra tranny, of course it holds boost well.

Old 12-30-2006, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

so what could i do to help the auto tranny the one i have got now was from a jdm civic and has a lsd in it will it handle boost (around 170-190hp) or should i just do the manual swap as i have the tranny just need to find the other stuff to swap.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:50 AM

See here's the thing, trannie's are rated to hold pounds of torque, not horsepower. Dseries engines don't make a lot of torque NA, but boosting them quite a few people have seen 200wtq and 225whp with just 10psi on a smaller T3. That would probably destroy the torque converter, I don't even think they make aftermarket ones for Honda's to replace it with.

You're either going to have to limit your power goals or swap to a manual and have much more fun.

Old 12-31-2006, 01:48 AM
HCF Member

It depends on how hard you push it as well. Iv seen boosted 7thgen auto's last years with no problems, and iv seen 7thgens with the same setup last under a month.

Quick Reply: Turbo my 2004 honda civic