Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Turbo on long trips....

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 07:56 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default Turbo on long trips....

Alright, as most of you know I'm getting boosted in the spring. T25 dsm turbo, probably with a few added goodies but nothing major. I'll be running the stock D16y8, and the turbo will be professionally tuned as soon as its installed.

But I was wondering, how do turbo systems hold up on road trips? I like to travel in the summer, sometimes I just go drive for 3 or 4 days at a time. Most of the trips I take are only around 300-400 miles (my girlfriend's home town, and my home town). I know turbos get very, VERY hot, and thats what made me wonder. I'm also thinking about taking a drive down to "The Dragon," which is going to be around a 20 hr drive from what I've heard. Am I going to run into problems?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:12 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Turbo on long trips....

at low boost, it should be fine. maybe consider upgrading to a bigger radiator and getting a Spoon 160* thermo and fan switch. and run water wetter with your coolant. those twin core radiators on ebay for about 100 bucks work great.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:44 AM

Question... possibly dumb... couldn't you just open(I think) your wastegate all the way so the turbo doesn't kick in? I know it defeats the purpose of having a turbo but it's not necessary on long trips IMO.

Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: Chimera02EX

Question... possibly dumb... couldn't you just open(I think) your wastegate all the way so the turbo doesn't kick in? I know it defeats the purpose of having a turbo but it's not necessary on long trips IMO.
Not unless your trips involve lots of hills and twisties, which mine do [sm=badbadbad.gif]

On a serious note tho, thats a big part of why I'm getting it, I hate not having power on demand. I mean, a solid third gear pull from 60mph to pass somebody usually gets the job done, but I'd feel a lot more confident with all that extra torque at the wheels ya know?

Sacs, thanks for the imput man. Would a bigger intercooler help the situation as well? Or would that be unnecessary for a turbo this small?

Old 12-08-2005, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

I wouldn’t worry too much, but the upgrades sac mentioned are good to have. As well as the colder plugs, and make sure you check your oil before a long trip. Maybe even change if you want to be on the safer side. As you already know the turbo eats up on that oil pretty fast and if water cooled as well make sure your radiator is also filled. Those 2 things keep your turbo cooler.
For those of us more paranoid folks an EGT gauge and oil pressure gauge will ease the worries a bit more. That way when you are on those long uphill climbs and in boost for longer periods of time you can keep an eye on those exhaust gas temps and ease up on the throttle when they get too hi. However most of those gauges are pretty expensive so not too many people want to buy them since they add no “performance” to the set up. I for one like to keep an eye on them for tuning purposes as well.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

the intercooler you have will be fine. As far as long trips...............when youre on the highway crusing..........youre not even boosting, my car does ok and its at somewhere near 8psi........ull be fine on those trips.........just do the new rad and ull be set.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 AM

I dont know if this helps but when i picked up my 300ZX Twin turbo i had to drive back 5 hours straight to get it home and i was doing 80-85 the whole way and not once did it even go past the half way mark on the temp guage. If your cruising the turbo isnt going to boost much if any at all. If your worried about the engine overheating do all the upgrades that everyone else suggested, bigger aluminum radiator with new cap, a thermostat that opens at a lower temp, maybe someway to force some air under the hood, a electric fan, and etc. Hope that helps alittle.

Old 12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

You will be fine man, I was not even at 5psi at 75mph highway cruising speed in 5th gear and it actually helps gas milage a bit if you dont go ringing it out.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:00 PM

iv heard that before, turbos can help fuel mileage if drive like an old lady.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
HCF Member

You also gotta factor in that alot of wind is getting rammed into the radiator at those speeds. But what should I know.

Quick Reply: Turbo on long trips....