Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Tune question about d16y7

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Default RE: Tune question about d16y7

You need to buy the ENTIRE kit. The kit comes as a whole SMOG ready, without all the pieces or if you start changing parts you're going to exemplify the SMOG part of the kit.

So you can't piece together a kit, and if you buy say the edlebrock kit you need to use the edlebrock engine management and you will NEED to keep it at the "stock" psi.

Don't do anything else, unless the only road time the car will see is on a trailor.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: SovXietday

You need to buy the ENTIRE kit. The kit comes as a whole SMOG ready, without all the pieces or if you start changing parts you're going to exemplify the SMOG part of the kit.

So you can't piece together a kit, and if you buy say the edlebrock kit you need to use the edlebrock engine management and you will NEED to keep it at the "stock" psi.

Don't do anything else, unless the only road time the car will see is on a trailor.
He is not using the edelbrock kit. He's planing on taking off the turbo and putting the stock ecu back when getting smog check and wants to know whether he has to get retuned again when installing the turbo back with the chipped ecu.

Also, you don't have to keep the edelbrock kit at stock psi to still pass.. IHeartboost from turbod16 is making 300whp (around 19psi) and he passed his smog check with flying colors. As long as you get a good retuned on the turbo link (edelbrock's piggyback), you can still pass the smog test

ORIGINAL: Exhausted

Anyways, back to the question at hand. Can ECU's be changed in and out without erasing the code on them? (ie install and tune with OBD1 ECU, then put the OBD2 back in for smog.) Does the ECU hold its code without having power supplied to it? I would assume so, otherwise in the event your battery was unplugged for any amount of time you would have to have your car re-tuned.
You should be fine. Because the maps are burned into the chip, so the fuel maps won't get erased when you take the ecu off.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:50 PM
HCF Member

Well, damn.

For the price of the Edelbrock kit I could get a B18B, intake mani, and exhaust. As long as it's a newer engine than the rest of the car, it's legal right? I would be getting the USDM version, to avoid emissions complications.

Old 11-10-2007, 07:59 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Exhausted

Well, damn.

For the price of the Edelbrock kit I could get a B18B, intake mani, and exhaust. As long as it's a newer engine than the rest of the car, it's legal right? I would be getting the USDM version, to avoid emissions complications.
Yeah, it should be legal. However, make sure to buy it from a reliable source where you can prove that the engine was not stolen. Because I have heard of many people getting pull over by a cop and getting their cars inpounded because the motor they bought was stolen or can proved that it was bought legit.

Also, try looking on some online classifields, I got my complete edelbrock kit for $1,200 from some rich dude that got rear ended

Old 11-10-2007, 08:12 PM
HCF Member

Do you know if Hmotorsonline.com is a legitimate business? Thier site looks good, and they are located about 150 miles from my place, so I could just drive my pickup down and pick it up, which would save me a lot on shipping costs.